Exmark Spindle

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by JJOHN22042, Aug 18, 2001.

1. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

How come Exmark does not go with the same Spindle as Scag to make Exmark even Better. The Spindle on the Scag is much better made.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How do you really know that? You don't! The sealed unit takes human error out. The correct amount of grease is already in there. I have had no problems with any of my spindles. Toro has a grease fitting, but eXmark doesn't. Maybe they know something about the subject. They wouldn't risk the great quality of their products on a spindle. Reputation is everything in this biz.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

JJOHN22O42,

Thanks for contacting us with your question. I guess to answer your question as best as I can, could you tell us what you like about it? I really don't think you want to hear why we think we are right! Exmark is always open to suggestions.

At first, we had some issues with our cutter housings when we did our re-design. That was units below S/N 194,000. It was an internal problem with tolerances in the bearing. After that things have been ROLLING pretty good.

I think everyone has room to improve their product. Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks, Fred.

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

As 65HOSS references, Toro uses a greasable spindle - it is also a tapered roller bearing and they tell you to grease them every 5 hours until grease comes out of them. I can't speak for JJOHN, but I would like to know why Exmark "thinks they are right" - as for my input, I had the perception, right or wrong, that the housings were about the same, that the sealed unit was less prone to maintenance errors (over-or-under greasing), but that the tapered roller bearings could take a harder hit (tree stump, etc.) without damage. Due to my great concern about spindles (this was the weakest area of my previous mower, a homeowners type), this was one main reason I bought a Toro. I am concerned about the greasing instructions; some dealers tell me to never grease until you see grease coming out; you can blow the seals, etc. - can Exmark speak for her sister company (or big brother, etc.)Toro?

5. eXmark

Howard,

First of all, Exmark can not speak for Toro, we design and market our products for Exmark. Toro does their own thing. We made maintenance free cutter housing and back it by a 3-year warranty.

Howard you are right on people over greasing and blowing the seal. We had many people failing cutter housing due to that reason. As for the Toro housings they are very different, other than they use 2 bearings and a spindle. And for your homeowner unit, I can believe that it didn't take hit very well. The one thing to keep in mind is that on most units something is going to have to give.

The other problem we had with using greasable housings was getting the user to put the right amount of grease in at the right time. There are so many factors that go into that, we could probably write a book. Some of the factors would be, is the conditions hot or cold, wet or dry, are you in grass that is thick or thin, tall or short, do you bag, mulch or side discharge. All of these and many more go into how much and how often do you grease.

I personally don't think that Exmark believes that we are Right or Wrong. We believe that for our application and design, we provide for the customer a simple, cost effective, and no maintenance cutter housing. Here at Exmark we are constantly prototyping and trying new things. I can honestly say at this point we have not tried tapered bearings in our housings. Out of all issues we have had a tapered bearing isn't necessarily the answer. I'm sure if our engineers find a better way of doing something we will do it.

Thanks, Fred.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark,
    I have a Lazer HP 52" w/ sealed spindle bearings. I was wondering how long I can expect these bearings to last before they will need replaced. :) ;) :) ED

7. eXmark

EJK2352,

This sounds like a good Lawnsite.com post. Well how long, that is kinda of a tough one to answer, our warranty says 3-years.

I can tell you this much, on our stationary test we stopped it at 3500 hrs. On this test we do put a load on the housings with paddle-blades. Paddle-blades are a square piece of steel with 4 pieces of angle-iron bolted on to it, in place of the blades (BALANCED). These paddle-blades apply enough drag to drop the RPM'S 300-400. We hook the machine up to a fuel cell and let it run day and night. We do stop it for maintenance and to inspect things.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can reduce the life of any housing by blasting a stump or burning the blade into the concrete. The life of anything can be increased or decreased depending on what you subject it too.

Thanks, Fred.