1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ExMARK Spindles Rebuildable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to ask if any of you guys or gals have ever rebuilt the spindle on a 48" Lazor Z HP,I just purchased a new spindle assembly off my dealer,After installing the new one I removed the old bearings out of the old spindle housing with little trouble,Just thought I could save some bucks rebuilding them rather than replacing them.One thing with the new spindle has been updated a little,It has a one piece spacer guard on the lower end of the spindle instead of the 2 piece And a bearing guard cover on the top side of the spindle.Its called a cutter housing update kit.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they are rebuildable but you have to buy the beairngs at a bearing store or from Toro. If you want to buy the bearings from a Toro dealer just have them look up the Exmark part number. Toro and Exmark use the same part number for the same part.
  3. caleb_harlan

caleb_harlan LawnSite Member

Yes I have rebuilt spindles before. My exmark dealer is a John Deere dealer and they use the deere bearings because they are cheaper to buy and maybe a little better. they will cross reference them for the exmarks.
  4. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Guys That will save me a few bucks in the future plus I can rebuild the old housing for a spare.
  5. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Bearings aren't the same. Dimensionally are but aren't physically.
    Spacer MUST BE replaced....!

This is a preload style where the bearing is held inplace by the spindle wall, AND the inner spacer. It plays the role of keeping the inner race within spec.
    If the inner race moves too much, the balls track out, the shaft moves more, and the seals wear prematurely....losing grease, and letting contaminates in.
    Bye-bye bearing.

Exmark has started using the same bearing that Yazoo/Kees had used for years with great sucess. Cut warranties tremendously in Florida.
    Internally uses a special polymer bearing cage for less friction, a polyurea synthetic grease, and was both shielded & sealed.
    There are some upgrades to the newer spindles as well on Exmark to protect from contamination.

Beraing # was 102677 but because many bearings aren't installed properly, and the inner spacers were usually not replaced, they now sell only complete bearing & spacer repair kit so all the right parts are there.

The Exmark spindle has a short distance (3/4" closer than Yazoo/Kees spindle)between the bearings which places an extra heavy load on them. Always will have a shorter life than many other spindle set ups.
    Y/K has since moved upward to a tapered roller bearing for longer life.