Exmark still squealing with thick grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robby, Sep 23, 2006.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

So I replaced the belt on my Exmark but it didnt help. I'm still losing blade speed and getting a squealing noise when trying to cut grass that is too tall or too wet or at too fast of a speed. I realize that you can not go flying at full speed through tough cutting conditions, but I know the mower used to cut through worse stuff without losing steam. What else might be causing this? The mower is a couple years old and the pulleys, springs, etc seem fine.
  2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

before you put the new belt on,did you check everything for free wheeling ie : did everything spin smoothly idler pulley? each spindle ? maybe something is hanging up, causing the belt to slip
  3. Maybe your drive pulley is worn. Does it have a grove you can feel about 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the vee?
  4. robby

robby LawnSite Member

Everything looked fine when replacing the old belt. The mower has less than 800 hours on it so it's not too old. The old belt I removed looked to be in fine shape, with no unusual wear or tear. I get no unusual noises when mowing easy conditions. Its only when the going gets a little harder that the mower struggles to cut at any decent speed. Maybe i'm just expecting too much from the mower, but I coulda sworn that last year the mower wouldnt bog down on the same conditions that it is struggling with now.
  5. It should be lugging the engine before the belt starts squealing. The idler pulley spring could have gotten weak. Or are you sure the belt is strung properly?
    You really need to find the problem or you'll be buying a lot of belts and pulleys.
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does your have the big pulley with the big spring attatched to it? If so, did you check if that moved freely back and forth? It could be stuck. Check it(with belt off) and spray the bushing part with wd40 or fluid film.
  7. robby

robby LawnSite Member

It does have the big idler spring. It seems fine and the belt seems to fit on fine with good tension.
    For those of you running the same machine, an exmark turf tracer with a 17 hp, can you/do you run at near top speed when mowing on a 7 day schedule? I try and run between 4 and 6 speed if I can get away with it. But if the grass is very wet or any kind of thickness, then i'm no longer able to.
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

robby does that have an electric pto or is it mechanical
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Replace the drive pulley.
  10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Very true.

Something is going wrong with your tension, spindles or drive pully.
    Mow for a few minutes in the conditions that are making it slip, then quickly take off the belt and check all of your spindles while they are hot, you may have a bearing going out that is dragging a little harder when its warmed up.