Exmark Strange Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gabe96, Jul 6, 2008.

1. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

Let me say first . Great Site!!!!!!!

I have a exmark 18hp Kohler. I have replaced battery last week. Here is my problem. When I cut for a couple of hours the mower dies, no warning at all. It wont restart with out jumping it off. Could it be the solenoid? Any input would be great.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this is one of those that will have to be tested to death to narrow it down.

I have seen a bad safety switch cause a battery drain. and it could caluse it to jsut die with out warning.

3. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

Where is switch located at?

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

since you say you have put a battery in it i would look at the charging system.

5. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

Would it be the solenoid going bad? When it stops it stops no warning at all. I'll pick one up today and change it.

6. Cutting_perfection

Cutting_perfection LawnSite Member

i also have a laser, 18hp kohler that is doing the same thing. With a freshly charged battery it starts off by stuttering everyonce and a while and gets worse tell it kills the blades. As the battery gets weaker, i no longer can take the parking brake off with out killing the motor.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Jumping the mower with a truck will often take out the stator.

Oldtimer

8. f1r3w4ll

f1r3w4ll LawnSite Member

STEP 1: Connect one end of the Positive(+) cable to the Positive(+) post of the dead battery.

STEP 2: Connect the other end of the Positive(+) cable to the Positive(+) post of the good battery.

STEP 3: Connect one end of the Negative(-) cable to the Negative(-) post of the good battery.

STEP 4: Connect the other end of the Negative(-) cable to a good solid SHINY, NON PAINTED metal part of the engine on the dead car.

Usually a giant shiny nut on the engine block will do. A painted, dirty, or oily nut will not work. You usually want to avoid placing the Negative(-) cable directly on the dead battery to minimize the chance for explosions. You should only use the ground post on the dead battery as a last resort. On this step you'll get a normal spark as you connect the ground and complete the circuit.

9. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

I put a battery charger on it and jumped it that way. What safety switch are you referring to bohiaa?

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

it probably aint the solenoid. check the charging system and switches.