Exmark Striping Kit...big Waste Of My Money!!! ALSO SOME HELP NEEDED.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, May 2, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a striping kit for my lazer 60 and had it put on with the hope of laying down some nices stripes but i am really dissapointed in the results. I honestly believe my lazer striped better without the kit then it does with it.

I tried adjusting the roller from the top hole to the 2nd hole and even tried different cutting heights but to no avail. I originally had the roller on the top hole and was cutting at 3 inches,then tried 2.5 inches.

I then lowerd the roller to the 2nd hole and tried different cutting heights. One thing i cant understand is why my mower is leaving so much clippings,blades are new,cutting at 3". The reason i ask is today i was cutting a lawn and another company was cutting the lawn connected to the lawn i was cutting and we both had lazers and his was laying better stripes {no striping kit}.

He was leaving like no clippings and mine was leaving clippings galore,he was not bagging but he did have a much bigger lazer, I think it was a diesel.

Anyway after spending $300 its kind of depressing. Maybe someone with a striping kit has some tips for me or some advice or answers??

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

you want to possition the stripink roller about 1/4 to a 1/2 in off the ground for your desired cutting height. The roller is a pain in the you know what cause it will need to be adjusted for different cutting heights to be the most effective in laying down the best stripes. To me that is the only downfall for it. You using an ultracut deck ?? The greener the grass the better it will look also, and the longer the blades of grass the more defined it will look also. Hope this helps

3. bigw

No its a triton deck and in the 2nd hole it is between a 1/4 and 1/2 inch off the ground while sitting on flat pavement.This is while at 3'' cutting height.

4. totallawncare25

from TN

The triton deck doesnt mulch the clippings like the ultracut will. The triton leave bigger clippings by far with the high lift blades. You could try a gator blade and that might help.

5. totallawncare25

from TN

as far as the stripper is concerned i dont know what to tell ya other then make sure the roller is spinning freely..

6. bigw

im sure it is its brand new.

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I experienced the same exact thing bigw.

8. bigw

what did you do about it? Were you able to get it to work better?

9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

It actually broke off, all the bolts snapped. so after that it stayed off.

10. bigw

wow i wish i would have known before i bought it. I swear it striped much better before the kit and i dont know whats up with all the clippings im geting.