Exmark Striping Kit Users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had bearing problems with their Exmark Striping Kit Bearings. Both of mines are bad at 190 hrs. They are $75 apeice to replace. At this price I am going back to the Anti Scalp wheels for the winter and put the kit back on in the spring. Everyone needs to check theirs because mines almost wore off the tip on one end which would have trashed the whole kit. As a matter of fact its probally better to replace the kit than sink $150 in bearings. Or even better is it worth it?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Bearings cost about 10 bucks a piece at the most.
    No need to buy them from the dealer.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I only Use the Kits a Couple Months of the Year...In July & Aug when we're Cutting High to make it Look Like We Cut.

IMO eXtreme Bending the Turf All Year is Very Bad Because it Shades Certain Areas which reduces new Shoot Propagation & Also Decomposition of Clippings...

4. Blessed 1

Are you telling me that you replaced your Exmark Striping Roller kit bearings for $10 a peace, or are you speaking in general? The reason I ask is because they come intalled in a bracket that isn't a common thing.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You guys should quit fooling with their high priced garbage.

Order yourself a whole roller from McMaster Carr for less than one lousy bearing.
    Make some brackets and mount it. Problem solved...

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Those bearings are Timkin or something similar and have the part # on them or on the box they came in with the kit. I saved the box and part #'s to some unknown place that I'll never find until I have already ordered new one's though the dealer. Those bearings and brackets are used in other industrial applications, a good bearing house should be able to locate or direct you to a replacement.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They are just a standard bearing in a pillowblock. Places like Tractor Supply Co. and such carry many of these. Industrial supply places will have them also. I couldn't even imagine spending $75 apiece to replace...that's ludicrous.

8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

New bearing and housing are $35 at Motion Industries. Part # FLCT 5/8
    www.torrington.com IR Torrington Fifnir Part # FLCT 5/8
    Took this right off the box. I replaced them earlier this year, and are about out again.---------

That is for the old style w/o the grease zert. The new style have a greas zert for the housing. And get this, the new one's are cheaper, but do not fit the old mounting brackets. And..... they wont sell you just the new brackets so you can get the new style bearings!

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I just started a thread about a kid I saw today with a roller kit on his exmark. It was all torn to heck. It didn't look like he had ever greased the thing and the bearings were totally torn out of the mountings.

Brian

10. Blessed 1

So that being said........how do you grease the "old syle". Battags I am like the young man that you saw only I am saying what grease fittings? These are closed bearings. Does anyone grease theirs?