Exmark striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turbo5560, May 21, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new Exmark and I love it by the way, I was going to buy a striper for it but the dealer told me that I have to lift the deck on it everytime I turn or I will break the roller. Is this true? Does anyone have a striper for their Exmark? What do you think of them?

2. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yep. Snaps em in half if you don't lift it on each turn............your dealer is an idiot.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i never lift mine, only when going over rocks, and crap, but other then that nope.

4. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Your dealer is incorrect; you do not have to lift the deck every time you wish to make a turn.As the above poster stated, only over rocks, cut to the ground stumps etc. You will want to make sure to position the roller to the deck high enough; the roller is not supporting the weight of the deck. Setting the roller to, to low of a position, might cause premature bearing Failure. The roller also will make a good anti scalp roller.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. We used to have one on a husqvarna machine. The antiscalp and striping properties were great but the bearings were replaced twice in the first 600 hours. Currently not using it but it was great while it lasted. Exmark's design should be a little stronger, just don't set it too low.

6. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Untrue. Buy your stripping kit.

The kit for the Lazer is pretty nice. Metal roller with nice bearings. Bearings are pricey to replace ( 70.00 )..

Other then that it works great, leaves a killer stripe. Let me see if I have some pics of some old stripes with a Lazer.

This pic was about 1.5 weeks after I cut the grass towards the beginning of the season this year. 60" Lazer with Exmark Stripping kit.

P1010324.jpg

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The exmark roller is a swiped design... and didn't realize I was being a party to that.

It does smash the stripes into the grass pretty good.

If your grass is anything like it is here, you'll have to set it as low as possible for the cutting height to get stripes out of it without having the deck ride on it.

This means it will hit the ground a lot, every high spot, every rock, make all sorts of racket and will dig in once in a while when you swing the mower. And if you have big variations in cutting heights on different lawns, you will have to adjust up and down to make it work... etc.

You will wear and/or beat the bearings out of it every few hundred hours as the "others" basically made a knockoff of the same design.

Save your $300.

For 10% of the cost you can build your own roller and it will last the life of the mower without problems... and not dig in... but will have some of the other inheirent fixed roller issues.

Frankly a well made flap kit works just as well and you forget it's on the mower.

8. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I wouldn't spend the money for a stripe kit for an Exmark. They already make a killer stripe without spending the extra money for a kit. I would put the money into something else for your business.

Just MY opinion, take it for what is worth!!

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In Ohio I'm sure they do. Most mowers probably do.
    But they don't do that everywhere.

eXmark won't stripe a lick here without some sort of device to do the job of striping.

10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I bought mine from York in 2000 and still have the same one on there. I mow from 2 1/4" up to 4 inches. They take getting used to because they hang down about an inch below the deck. Like anything common sense when running will go along way.