Exmark Sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Apr 21, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My Exmark dealer has a new Exmark steerable sulky sitting around and said he would put in on my 48" hydro unit for me to try. Have any of you guys used this paticular sulky? My concern is using it on slopes. I fear it will slide on me. He says it would work fine because it is steerable but I want to hear what you guys have to say. The cost is $300.00 installed. Regular retail is $600.00-700.00 in the book. Thanks for any help on this.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

300 bucks isn'ta bad price at all for this! As far as your concern about slopes and such, fact of the matter is, is that sulkys are generally designed for flat wide open ares. They give WARNING not to use them on slopes and hillsides. I used a sitdown behind my JD for years. I also used it on some SLIGHT inclines, but I could pop it right off for hills. Quick-tach setup. I did have to modify it and put an extension frame under the seat though, because the seat was just sat too low and it sort of bothered your shoulders after awhile so I raised it up so my arms were lower on the bars. I also tilted the seat forward just a bit when I built this because the way it was built, it just leaned back a little too far. Anyway, if you can get it on and off quickly, this may not be a bad way to go if you have some larger areas to do. Then again, I now consider a half acre a large enough area to justify this!:)