Exmark tears grass when turning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ratherbfishing3574, Apr 5, 2008.

1. ratherbfishing3574

ratherbfishing3574 LawnSite Member

At the end of last year I purchased an exmark, my first 0 turning radius mower. I have noticed this year that in some of the yards I mow the mower is actually tearing the grass up when I turn. I have tried making wider turns, I have tried going turtle speed, and nothing seems to cure the problem. Please note this only happens on a few of my yards. Does anyone have a cure. Thanks for any advice!

2. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

Any zero turn will tear the grass on some turns. The only cure that I have found works is the three point turn. Pull past turning a little, backup turning a little more, then finish the turn going forward. Hope this helps.

3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

ratherbfishing,

Do you have your anti-Scalp rollers set?

Eric D

4. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Hi Eric
    Is that your chopper?
    I fly out of PTK, just fixed wings, love to fly a chopper one day.

Regards Mike

5. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

Bullseye!! 3 pt turn, get used to it!!

6. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

Had the same prob when I got my first Z.
    Had to start doing an articulated turnaround thing.

7. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

We see it with newbies all the time, they either dont understand or they just dont care. We fix that though, trimming all day can be reallllllly boring!

8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Trimming all day does do the trick. First we break em' down military style, then build em' into a mowing machine. But yeah do a 3 point turn.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And in wet conditions, a 3 point turn can become a 5 point turn if necessary. Don't be afraid to go past what you need by a distance, and back up using more gradual turns. Sometimes you just need to do that. You may think that it looks like you don't know what you are doing, but if you DO know what you're doing and do these wider, longer, more gradual moves, the results will show different. This holds true even (or should I say especially) on tree rings and so forth, like we were discussing early last week.
    A little practice and some getting used to, and you will be good to go. Good luck with it!

10. ratherbfishing3574

ratherbfishing3574 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.