Exmark throttle problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DistLawns, Mar 29, 2006.

1. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have an 03 Exmark Z turn hp. I love this machine, and have never had any problems with it untill now. But I went to run the machine and get it ready for the spring and the throttle won't stay all the way down. (the throttle is on th front of the mower, not up on the gas tank.)It seems to be loose and while it will go full throttle, within a couple of minutes it works itself to about half throttle. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea how to fix it? Any imput would be great.

2. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

i have same mower and same problem

3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

New Throttle Cable.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

No, just pull the throttle cable assembly out (should be held in with a couple of screwes if you are lucky) and tighten the screw or bolt on the side of the assy. that increases the tension on the wave washer that keeps your lever in place. Had a 60" demo unit with the 31hp B&S on it that would idle down to half throttle after a little bit. Was ticking me off until I found that the adjustment on the lever portion itself was too loose.

5. DistLawns

from Midwest

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna take a crack at it tommarrow! Any more advice is appreciated!

6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I have a craftsman hand held blower/vac that does this same thing with the throttle. Do you all think that I probably have a similar thing going on with it.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just tighten the friction lock on the throttle. You don't have to remove anything, just take a couple of wrenches and go for it.

Oldtimer

8. DistLawns

from Midwest

Thanks for the help, you guys were right, I just took of the front panel with 2 bolts, tighten the bolt inside the panel that ws connecting the actual throttle to the cable, and shes good as new.Geeting those bolts off and getting the wrenches in there wasn't easy, but doable.