Exmark/Toro Confusion - Which One

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Too Tall, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Too Tall

Too Tall LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Hi , new member and first time post. I have searched the forums here and have been unable to get a definite answer. My local dealers also have conflicting stories so please let me know the facts. I am cutting 5 acres, mostly flat terrain and have decided on either the Laser Z 60” with the 25 Kohler (27 Kawa LC if I can get the right price) or the Toro Z 250/280 62” . Both units look a lot like and I understand that Toro owns Exmark. The main difference appears to be the decks? What is the real story about the difference in the mowers and the deck (Super Flow System). The grass is growing and I need to buy something soon. Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Too Tall,

It is true that Toro owns Exmark. On June 3rd of 1997, Toro purchased Exmark Manufacturing. We build their Z-Masters here at the same factory where the Exmark Lazer Z's are built in Beatrice, Nebraska. Although we are two separate (and sometimes even competing companies ;) ), there are some similarities between the two products because they utilize some of the same components. This is why the rear portion of the tractor looks very similar (i.e. - engine deck frame, hydro pumps, wheel motors, hydro reservoir, etc.). The front frame, on the other hand, is quite different, and you hit it right on the head when you mentioned the deck as the "main difference."

The Toro deck use the Super Flow System (SFS). They're decks are stamped out of a single piece of 12-gauge steel. This is a very simple, quick, and efficient was to mass produce a bunch of mower decks for their commercial mowers. The SFS deck does a real good job of taking tall grass and knocking it down. It's not going to be the most pretty cut you've ever seen, but it's not bad. The big disadvantage to this deck is strength. 12-gauge steel is not super strong, and when you bend this deck, they can prove to be difficult to straighten. As a result, sometimes you have to buy a whole new deck.

The Exmark offers two different decks, which produce similar results - the TriVantage and UltraCut decks. The TriVantage decks are 5" deep. They feature a continuous welded 10-gauge top and 7-gauge side skirt. You can mulch, bag, or side discharge the grass from any of these decks, and this is the standard deck for all Lazer Z HP's and walk-behinds, except the Turf Tracer.

The Turf Tracer, Turf Ranger, Lazer Z, and Lazer Z XP all Utilize the UltraCut decks. The UltraCut deck is 5.5" deep, which provides more volume for lifting and cutting taller grass. Like the TriVantage decks it features a continuous welded 10-gauge top and 7-gauge side skirt; however, the UltraCut decks add a 10-gauge top reinforcement plate and 7-gauge reinforcement rings around the spindle assemblies (except for the 52" decks). They also have a trim side wear guard to prevent damage to the side of the deck (The 52" Lazer Z HP has this wear guard as well).

One of the big advantages to this deck is cut quality. I believe that the Exmark decks, Excalibur Blades, and patented flow-control baffles combine to offer you the best all around cut. If you need to cut grass that is between 1.5" and 4", it's hard to beat an Exmark.

Another advantage of both the UltraCut and TriVantage decks is durability. Since they are welded and not stamped, they are quite strong, and if you do happen to bend a deck, they can easily be straightened. We've even sent customers raw parts to replace a damaged portion of the deck. You can't do that with a stamped deck.

Finally, Exmark also offers some excellent accessories to maximize the productivity and performance of our mowers, like the UltraVac Commercial Collection System, the MicroMulch system, and the E-Z Striper. If you have any other questions, e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com or create another post.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. Too Tall

Too Tall LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Hi Dustin, thanks for the reply and clearing up the differences. I decided on the Lazer Z over the Toro and picked it up my Kawa Liquid-Cooled 60” on Saturday. I will let you know how it works out over the next couple of weeks. Thanks again for helping me make my decision.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Too Tall:

Sounds like you made a good decision :D . I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. The 60" liquid-cooled Kaw. is my favorite Exmark rider to date. If you ever have any questions, feel free to create a post here, e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com, or call us at 800/667-5296.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support