1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark, toro, scag, hustler, other?? POLL...please read

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by DillonsLawnCare, Jul 30, 2007.

which mower do you think is better?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2010.
  1. Toro.

73 vote(s)
  2. Exmark.

165 vote(s)
  3. Scag.

123 vote(s)
  4. Hustler.

63 vote(s)
  5. Other, and mention in thread!!!

78 vote(s)
  1. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

They are decent mowers for a homeowner but not for the Commercial guy. Their deck is built out of industrial parts and no where near the thickness we see out of mowers like Hustler, Toro, Exmark, or Scag. Besides they sell them at Tractor Supply too!:laugh::nono:
  2. tom's lawn care

tom's lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Wright is the best
  3. SouthernDelight

SouthernDelight LawnSite Member

Cant beat a Hustler or a Deere.
  4. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Chopper for me.
  5. musician/lawnman

musician/lawnman LawnSite Member

I have since then bought a 48" Wright Centar in july of last year. I was so impressed with it that I just last month sold the Yazoo & bought another wright just like the 1st one. These machines rock. Faster, lighter, cut's better & takes the hills like it's on rails. Easy maintenence & more manuverable too, plus a smaller footprint so there's more room in the trailer!
    I change my vote..... WRIGHT!
  6. kmzlawncare

I don't know how high they were cutting but we never take any more then 3/4 " off of a lawn unless it was a new job that we have not cut yet.
    And as far as cut and speed our Dixies can run 15mph and lay down a nice cut. As far as blade speed we run 4000 rpm engine speed so I know the dixie has a high blade speed. And as far as the scag goes a good friend of mine has a lawn care company and we help each other out and the scag has a great cut also and it will run 12mph. I think these are both great mowers.
  7. SouthernDelight

Engine RPM has nothing to do with blade speed. Pully size is the big factor. Increase pully size, increase blade speed exponentially. However, larger pullies mean you need more power to spin them.
  8. SouthernDelight

ALSO...Adding this little tidbit......wright, yazoo, exmark and a couple others are more popular in the north. Dont know why. Im sure these are fine mowers, but opinions are swayed by machines that are used most in a certain area, i.e. more familiar with same. While my opinion is that Deere 757, 777, 797 and 997 are some of the finest mowers ever made along with Hustler Super Z and Dixie Chopper a close second, the fact remains that personal preference will always prevail on an individual basis.
  9. kmzlawncare

Well Im sure dixie choppers have enough hp with 40hp kohler on a 74" xcaliber I would say that's enough for some very fast blade speed.
  10. budman163

budman163 LawnSite Member

Gravely 148i M XDZ........23 hp Kawasaki and 48" cut