1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark, toro, scag, hustler, other?? POLL...please read

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by DillonsLawnCare, Jul 30, 2007.

which mower do you think is better?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2010.
  1. Toro.

73 vote(s)
  2. Exmark.

165 vote(s)
  3. Scag.

123 vote(s)
  4. Hustler.

63 vote(s)
  5. Other, and mention in thread!!!

78 vote(s)
  1. Powerws

Powerws LawnSite Member

I need to buy a mower tomorrow or within the next week. I heard that the Scag went away from their cast deck and went to steel. I heard the Walker still uses a cast deck. Any feedback on this issue? From what I have gathered the cast deck is the best and strongest!:weightlifter:
  2. John deer Z

John deer Z LawnSite Senior Member

X 2 :usflag::cool2::waving:
  3. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

other thread pretty similar:

4. demhustler

speed & quality of cut: cut on 15 mph same as cut on 12 mph (or 10 mph on this matter) - all depends on grass/surface conditions (10, 15 - same thing - you have to slow down when you have to)

speed itself - 15mph and 10mph difference can be compared as difference between very old rider or walkbehind w.sulky (8mph) and exmark 12mph
    see 4 yourself

in my experience - basically all new mowers with newer deck design accommodating their speed are making good cut - again all depends on ground conditions - slow down if necessary

btw. since manufacturers use same engines, pumps, wheelmotors - mowers of same characteristics pretty close too - major difference makes service - how long it would take to get/replace part (how long it would be out of field )

p.s. Ferris with suspension should be good - but just 12mph...- with IS they could be not that slow... : )))
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  5. demhustler

stock -3600; blades rpm & tip fpm speed increased accordingly, 11%

KM, how it's goes ok? 10-15% -pretty much safe? (...if anything goes wrong - they'll blame You)
  6. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

Walker hands down and my closest parts dealer is 60 miles away and sucks as* but walker units sell theirselves i own 8 .

i read they are good on manicured turf which is the manufacturing companys idea too but i promise they hold up just fine making a 2 week cut with heavy fertilize and a week of rain i have seen the guys pull 32 dumps per acre off lawns and you guy know what..... they still looked perfect .
    this post isnt one sided i own 72" ferris 5000z 60" gravley's 50" cub cadet ztr and seveal walks ,pushmowers and yes even a 30" ztr unit
  7. meyere60

meyere60 LawnSite Member

dang alot of you all like exmark. i prefer SCAG all the way. the spindles suck on exmark, the decks are thin, just my opion especially the walk behinds.