Exmark?Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutAboveTheRest, Jul 30, 2003.

1. CutAboveTheRest

CutAboveTheRest LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Does Toro own Exmark?There ZRTs look similar. Any major pros or cons?

Who is the number one seller for landscape equipment?

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same question, Toro vs. Exmark. I was looking for a new WB. I chose Toro from past experience and local dealer quality.

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Like GMC and Chevy trucks; made by the same company--cept the decks are different

4. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Many of the parts are even the same part number.

5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

From what I was told this week by a dealer, the frames are identical and mechanicals are the same as well. The decks are very different. The shape is completely different and Toro is only 10ga while Exmark is 7 ga.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark's decks are deeper, better for mulching IMO. I think Toros discharge pretty well though, the SFS system looks to be a pretty efficient setup.

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Just turned 15 hours on my Z HP, previous machine was a Toro 150 (2000) it had 600 hrs on it. I am still in the 'honeymoon' phase of a new purchase but as of this moment the HP has it hands down, it is totally different than my Toro (when you visit the dealer take along a tape measure and compare frame sizes).
    Looks can be decieving, the deck is not the only difference (talking about new 2003 models side by side).
    SFS deck worked well for me here in upstate NY and at this time (summer grasses) the Trivantage 52" is doing great.
    Why did I change from Toro ? Just wanted to try something different and Exmark is getting a lot of press here on LawnSite.
    BobR

8. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

It depends a great deal on what series of Z you are looking at. Ask the dealer when he will have in the new 500 series Toro Z-master - it will have the 7 gage deck - we have had 0000 problems with the 10 gage decks though.

Toro has 37% of the LE market - don't know if that makes them the biggest, but it is a large chunk

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Go Toro if you want to mostly side discharge.

Go Exmark if you mostly want to mulch.

Simple as that.