Exmark Tracer HP vs Metro Hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Mar 6, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I am thinking of upgrading my Metro Hp 48" 15 hp to the Tracer Hp 48" with 17hp with some sort of sulkey. Will it be much quicker? Heck if I can cut just one more lawn a day it will pay for itself in a few months. What does everyone think
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

yea it would be worth it, but why sink 5k in a w/b if you can spend another 1k on a lazer and 2 or 3 more lawns a day. think about that one if you already haven't
  3. dmk395

from Ma

Good thought. Nonetheless I have been told that most of my residentials being only 10,000ft force alot of turf tears. Have been quoted 7400 for Lazer. My thought is that with a sulkey I should be able to cut at similar speeds for a small yard. I don't know though, what do u think?
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

If your lawns are 1/4 acre, then your best bet would be to use the walkbehind. I think the metro is belt drive. The turf tracer is a hydro, and a bigger engine. You will do better with the hydro. Also, you could never do as good with a walkbehind than you could do with a ztr. :D If you are planning to build your business and get larger lawns, then a ztr would fit the bill, and you would be a lot less beat up at the end of the day. I have a turf tracer 17 48 inch, and a lazer 52 inch cut.
  5. Both WB go the same speed.

You are not gaining a thing but manuverablity and be able to mow when it is wet.
  6. dmk395

from Ma

What about the bigger engine, wouldnt I get more torque for mulching? How about taking into effect a sulkey?
  7. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I would go to a 52" to save time or fit more work in(4"makes a big difference). If you do think about a ztr a walker is your best bet for those small. In 1 neighberhood of 12 lawns I save 1/2 to 45 min with my walker over my 52''wb hydro with velky.( all lawn are 7000 sq ft)
  8. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I own a 48" Turf Tracer HP and love it. I disagree with some of the other guys (No, I'm not trying to start an argument, just my opinion), I feel the WB is easier to get around in smaller yards with a lot of obstacles (sp?). So to contradict myself if the smaller yards are all open, go for the rider. If the yards are full of obstacles like mine (trees, fences, landscaping, swing sets, mailboxes, water meters, light poles, street signs. . . .AHHH!! anyway) you'd be better off with a WB. Just my $.02 worth.
  9. Well there will be no difference since the hydro will eat up the extra 2hp.

Same as what I wrote in my first post.

Velke will be the same behind either mower.

If you want the little bit extra go with the hydro.

slplow, from a 48" to a 52". In order to save 1/2 hour, he must cut for 5 hours non stop to get 5.5 hours worth of cutting in, in 5 hours.
  10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both an Exmark Viking hydro 48" and a Lazer HP 52". I agree if the yard is full of obstacles I use my w/b, for me it's easier to move around with no turf damage. If the area is open, there is no question, I use the Lazer. The w/b and ztr seem to be a very good combo for the different conditions I encounter. I think my next machine will be a Turf Tracer, probally a 48". As far as hydro vs belt, I have owned and used both. One word:hydro!