Exmark Triton NY reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newtostone, Oct 30, 2007.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Alright, so next year i am looking at replacing my current staff of mowers, we have 3 scags. Two walk behinds and one wildcat, the wildcat overall has held up well but i would rather a mower with a better cut. Theres nothing worse than seeing the lawn next to you (cut by a rival LCO) looking better (In terms of cut quality). So what i am asking is, all you guys who run the newer exmarks with a triton deck in NY, please let me know how they are doing. Any issues? Stay away? Stay scag? Please just help me out here. Thanks in advanced.

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay scag. If you haven't used the new velocity deck it cuts great. I have used both Exmark and Scag and I'm sticking with Scag. I don't know if you mow hills but thats another thing to look at. The Scag hold hills alot better and we all know they are bulletproof. As far as cut quality in my area the Triton deck has hurt the sales of the exmark. It has turned some die hard Exmark users to go to other brands. Both great mowers but I would stay Scag.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I wish i didn't have to agree But I do....

I;m a die hard exmark user and fan.... however it's true untill exmark dumps the triton deck, I will NOT purchase another one.....

I'm looking at scags, I plan on purchasing 2 60" something's for next season...
    and so far scags has my vote

4. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

yeah, unfortuntly i have to agree with the bad bad triton deck issue. i am a dye hard exmark guy. my hole fleet is exmark, but they are all exmark with ultracut decks. i got the chance to use a 2009 prototype a month ago with the "new" triton deck. i compaired the cut right next to my favorite mower, 2007 Lazer z 60" 25 kohler ultracut deck. i had the very distinct privlage of showing the exmark national rep. how bad the triton deck cuts next to the ultracut. he was embarassed. i will simply not buy a triton deck.

5. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I cut in NY and I have 500hrs. on my Triton. didn't like it until they put the fix kit on it. Like the way it cuts now and I've ordered another one for next year.

6. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

Not impressed w/ Exmark Triton in IL. So I tried scag and Hustler. Really the only thing I didn't like was how heavy the steering was on the scag. I bought 4 Hustlers. I have had 6 Exmarks and 3 Toros. I kept my 2 ultracut 28/60's and still need to sell my Turboforce 48.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I use a Triton and Ultracut side by side here in mid-michigan and the Triton does better in every situation; really tall, thick grass, wet grass, limp or flimsy grass. In my opinion the Triton is a step above the Ultracut and I'm actually considering selling my 260Z for a Exmark with a Triton deck for next year, it's that good.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have both Scag and Exmark. I'm a die hard Exmark fan but I will probably not buy one with the Triton deck even with the improvements. Just too many complaints. Try to find a complaint with the Velocity Deck or John Deere 7 Iron II. Those two decks have the least amount of complaints.

jtkplc and others have had good luck with the Triton but good lord there are page after page of people who are sick, even with the fix.
    My Exmark has faster hydraulics, and is much more nimble than most Scags I've been on. An I have the older Ultra Cut deck and the cut is smoother but the Velocity will out cut it in dew, wet grass, over grown grass, and leave a very good cut anytime. I have put 4 times as many hours on the Scag this year as the Exmark. I'm just trying to be honest. Love Exmark but for all around cutting and getting the job done the Velocity is doing better for me. The Exmark is refined but the Scag Velocity is the work horse here. I am not biased because I own and like both but, Here is 139 post on the Triton, mostly negative:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192026

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to look at a JD 7 Iron II cut for yourself. You may just change your mind about needing to be a Scag or eXmark person. And from all accounts I have heard, dealer support is great all over.

I know it is here.

Good Luck

10. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have thought of John Deere once or twice;) , But thats only as far as I have taken it. And the local dealer sells Deere as well as Exmark. Now to be honest i hate saying this, the Scag dealers in my area arent the best. Just have a good deal of business and dont feel anyone should be first in line, which was O.K when I wasnt so busy, but now i need better backing. So i guess i am looking around Scag we may say. Altho. if it truly is the best product ill just have to deal with the SO SO service. Love to here more from guys running the Triton in NY and any problems/praise.