1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark TT 60" VS Ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlbeLawn, Mar 11, 2005.

1. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

I am thinking of buying a exmark turf tracer 60" 23 kawasaki. I was going to get rid of my lesco viper 60". I think that i will be able to use it on yards that my customers think the ztr is too big for. Just looks smaller. I was wondering how much time is lost between a ztr and a walkbehind. I have some large accounts with flat acreage but i also have some with hills. So i was trying to see what people think that have them. And do you agree that the customers will think that it is a smaller mower because it is not a rider.

Albenesius Lawn Service
  2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

As far as what the customer perceives it is hard saying, I think they want you out there trying to kill yourself with a 21", that way they feel like they are getting their moneys worth.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

WB will be better on hills, do you have that issue?
    Top speed on WB is about 6.8mph / Z 10+ will that matter to you?
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you have 50% hills get the walk with a good sullky. If you have less then 50% like 30% hills and the rest is flat get the rider and a small walk for the hills.
    If you have a dealer for the Convertible mower you might want to check them out.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Large (2+) acreage props are the only places you lose time with a WB vs. a Z. Last year, we actually switched some jobs to using a big WB instead of a Z and saved time on many. As for what my customer thinks about the size of the mowers, unless they approach me, I don't give it much thought. The smaller the mower they want me to use, the more it's gonna cost them. Period
  6. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

the TT60 is a pretty big mower.... but since they see you walking they may think it is smaller...
  7. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

Thanks, I thought that i would not loose any time with them on the smaller 1/2 acre yards. i just was not sure sence i have never used one but i have seen them move and was very supprised at the speed and the quality of the cut. thanks for the feedback.

Albenesius Lawn Service
  8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

One thing you might not have considered is the fatigue factor with a WB versus a rider. Do you want forearms the size of Popeye's or carpel tunell syndrome in a few years? You can ride on a Z all day and not get tired (unless it's extremely rough and then your back might be a little sore). If your on a WB all day your hands and forearms will be tired. Your feet and knees will be sore from standig on the sulky or walking I never consider what the customer thinks about me having a larger machine on the property and have never had one make any type of comment about it. If they say anything to you tell them that a rider has a wider tire and therefore will not rut the ground as bad as a WB will because it distibutes the weight over a larger area.