Exmark TTHP 48" question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dunn's, May 18, 2008.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

We have always used Ferris but because of less then satisfactory dealer support we decide we where going to start using Exmarks.

No wI don't know if it is that Ferris is just so far ahead of the competition that we where spoiled by the machines or what.

But we have been using the 48" TTHP since yesterday and can not get the hang of it. The acceleration is in the middle of the hand grips and you have to move it for much like gears. Which we thought the whole reason for buying hydro's was to get away from that.

So we are having trouble operating it because if you want to go more then the speed of a snail when you slow down to make a turn it then tries to rip out of your hands and do a wheelie. unless you slow down to nothing to make the turn and squeeze the hell out of the reverse handles or coming to a complete stop re-latching the neutral lock switches or whatever they are called. Shifting down to neutral turning then shifting back up for speed. It just seems like way to much work just to turn.

This machine has already gotten away from us a few times and actually dented one of the trucks because of it. this is all at max operating speeds of 3 mph or the number 3 one the gear shifter thing( that should not exist we did not pay belt drive price) So we shouldn't get belt drive ability.

Also the cut is less then great. Even though the dealer said that this machine cuts better then the Ferris's. But so far it has not. I think it might just be cutting bad by the crappy blades that it comes with. But why give it crappy blades when it cost more then the other comparable or should I say better machines.

Sorry such a long post. So our question is this. are all of the other machines like this other then Ferris?Does any other machines out there have a good drive system like Ferris? Or is it just an Exmark problem? Also if you have had this problem as well? Did you return the machine? How hard or easy was it to return?

All replies greatly appreciated!

2. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you don't know how to operate it. The two handles that you hold on to with your fingers, you let them go forward as much as you want to go faster. You want to go slower to turn pull back on them some, if you need reverse you pull all the way back. I don't get it why you are stopping to change the selector. Put it the highest position that you think you need and leave it there until you are done or stop the mower.

3. Dunn's

because at that higher speed it is pulling away from us if our hand slips off the handle just a little. or if we go to wipe sweat from our eye or have an itch or get a peice of grass in our eye. Etc.etc. Then you let go and it just start spinning on you. Never had this problem with the Ferris. You push the thumb control forward it goes forward push them harder it goes faster. You know like a gas pedal.

So you are saying we should move it to the top speed that is safe to be on the lawn and then squeeze the hell out of the reverse handles the whole time to control it so it doesn't get away from us. Sounds like a belt drive to me.

Thank you for your reply but since it cost more it should be better not worse and more like a belt drive.

4. Dunn's

most of our lawns are under 9k so it is not like we are cutting half acre properties and have time to fiddle with the accelartion repeatadly

5. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

your hydros seem out of wack to me they arent set right

6. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

The machine should track straight period if its not then the hydros need to be adjusted

7. Dunn's

it tracks staright but if you are holding the reverse handles to try and slow it down and you let one go it spins.

Any one out there have experience with both Ferris and Exmark?

Is Ferris the only mower that has the type of acceleration I am talking about?

8. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, the Turf Tracer with the ECS controls is one of the easiest to operate. Something is a little out of whack on your unit. You should not be having these problems. I can take a person who has never used any type walk behind and have them pretty proficient is less than a half hour.
    I'd have my dealer check it out or have them spend a little time with you on operation.
    Good luck...you bought the right machine!!!

9. Dunn's

Have you ever used the Ferris walkbehinds?

10. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, we had an older 48" model but have not tried anything lately. We've been pretty much hooked on eXmark and Gravely for the past couple of years.