exmark tthp or john deere 717?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, May 13, 2007.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at upgrading. I have a newer gravely belt drive 48". It has 140 hours. The stock tires are toast so it just slides around terrible, you just about cant control it on hills, it just wants to slide sideways and forwards. And not to mention it has no reverse which would be real nice. I could fix the gravely but still wouldnt be a 100% satisfied. NoW i would love to have the jd 717, but i am unsure if it fits my needs. most of my mowing is semi-flat, but a couple have hills and such. How does the jd handle hills and such? Thats why i was thinking either a viking or tthp. Seems like it would be more versitile?And could mow places the jd couldn't. But you are still stuck on a sulky behind it. So i am solo and right now only mow like 10 yards. Would i be better in having a walk behind if i am going to only have one mower? Or could the jd handle all my needs?? Not sure which way to lean. I am going to go look at them maybe this week. So any iput? Anybody use the jd as their primary mower??

later!! chris

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

How big are your properties? What portion of them are steep? Do you regularly use a hand mower with the Gravely? Or, are you able to mow the entire properties with the w/b?

3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i put my 717a on some good hills and it does great.i think it is in how you do it.

4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

The TT is awesome! I love mine!