Exmark TTHP Vs. Gravely Pro H

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cut 2 Please, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I am about to buy a new WB. I have demoed several mowers and have narrowed it down to these 2: Exmark TTHP 17Hp 48" or Gravely Pro H 17Hp 48". I have run the Exmark w/ a mulch kit. It did a great job other than the blow out when trying to mulch leaves. The Gravely that I tried did not have a mulch kit on it. I like the features on the Gravely better and am leaning a little more towards the Gravely.
    Can anyone tell me how well the Gravely mulches and if it has blow out? If so, How bad is it? Any other input on the 2 mowers would also be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36" gravely gear drive with the pro controls and its a great machine i recently put meg-mos on and they seemed to cause to much blow out i only had one clean up left so i only used them once, ill wait for heavy spring growth to see if they really mulch otherwise Gravely builds a tank of a mower

3. needforspeed

needforspeed LawnSite Member

I have a 52" TT HP, as in differant apps, the Mulcher kit have their time and place,If you get the leaves in a dry state the Ex Micro mulch kit does a fine job,as applys to dry grass to, Unless you dedicate a mower for mulching, I would just side discharge or maybe consider a side bagger, Using the Micro Mulch kit will also give not as good stripping, most of the time in my area May and June, also late Sep- Oct, the grass stays wet for a good part of the day, and who can wait till 12 noon before mowing! Mulchers are not a good choice for the wet stuff,

Gary Hommes Lawn+Landscapes

4. needforspeed

As of what is the best mower would be a hard choice I would stay with a close by and very helpfull dealer that you are comfortable with, I never had a Gravely mower before so I could not say about them, the exmarks are what I use and Scag, I never had a major problem with them, so make the best choice

Gary

5. Cut 2 Please

The same dealer sells Exmark and Gravely, so picking the best dealer is not an issue. As for side discharge, every property, with the exception of one, has to be either bagged or mulched. Side discharge is not really an option for me.
    Thanks.

6. riden2low

riden2low LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I just bought a 36 gravely hydro. My rep told me to wait until next Spring to buy the mulch kit. Gravely is suppose to come out with a better blade design.

7. Cut 2 Please

I made my decision yesterday and bought the Exmark. Both were very good machines but when it came down to it I just liked the Exmark better. The ECS controls were very smooth and easier to opperate once I got use to them. The cut quality on the Exmark is awsome. I also got the weight kit for the front since I am using a Pro-Slide. I wish spring would hurry up so I can start striping green grass instead of brown grass.

8. needforspeed

cut 2 let me know how you like your pro slide I made a rep a while back and it striped good but the handle or it was bad,
    thanks
    gary

9. Cut 2 Please

I love my Pro-Slide. I have run a one wheeled velke for the past 5 years on other walk behinds and the Slide puts the velke to shame. The versitility w/the slide it great. When you need to walk it retracts up out of the way and you don't have to check up. I highly recomend the Pro-Slide.

10. needforspeed

2 cut the one I made seems like it wants to zig zag all the time , and it is very bad on hills, I also don't like the one wheel velke cause it leaves like a snail trail.lol

Gary