exmark tthp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by scottishmaximus, Apr 30, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hi, I have an exmark 48" tthp with 17hp v-twin kaw. I am side chuting about 6 days growth at about 3" with gators in Cincinnati Ohio. An employee keeps complaining about it missing grass inbetween blades. It did this new with the original blades. I tried gators and thought that they helped. The deck gets cleaned, and is not plugged when the strands show up. I have about 1/8" positive deck rake as well. I measured the gators, which I got from the dealer, and they are within 1/16" of the originals. The blades, original and gators, are not rounded at the edges. I am not sure what else the problem could be, any suggestions? About the only thing that I can think of is engine rpm. Is it common to adjust this for cable stretch? I love the mower except it doesn't cut all of the grass. It is not an extreme amount, but noticeable, and unacceptable to me. Thanks for any help.

Scott Boehm

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Scott,

Thanks for the post. Generally there are only a couple of things that can cause what you’re seeing.

You've already measured the blades so we're sorta okay there. Remember a 1/6" short on each blade means an 1/8" between them.

Next look at the PTO belt adjustment. This one is often forgotten and can cause similar issues to what you’re seeing but more often just a really ragged cut.

More than likely the deck idler is hanging up. Simply remove the deck belt, unbolt the deck idler, clean the bushing and pivot with some fine sand paper or emery cloth, grease it and put it back together. The bushing should not only spin in the idler arm but should be clean enough to fall out when unbolted as well.

After all that put a set of factory blades on and let me know if the problem has cleared up.

Thanks

Terry

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Terry, thanks for the tips. I will look into it and let you know what i come up with.

Thanks

Scott Boehm