1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Turf Tracer 60"/Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccll, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

Can anyone give some knowledgable advise on the Turf Tracers, pros and cons. I currently own two turf tracer hp 48's, love the ECS and the cut quality. I've not dealt with any large 60 inch decks in walk behinds before. My ztr has a 61" deck and I'm just wondering how hard it is to manuver a walkbehind around in tight spots with a deck that big on it? None of the dealers around my area carry them in stock, so it's impossible to get a demo unit. My main concerns are cut quality, clumping and clipping dispersal (I don't like having to double cut!!!:nono: ). Any feedback is appreciated.
  2. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

all of the mowres that i have are exmark turf tracers, two 60"s with 23hp kohlers and a 36" with 15hp kawasaki. I love them...
    I find them manuravlable (sp?) and provide a great cut. I use high lift blades though.
  3. jason_2005lawnman

jason_2005lawnman LawnSite Member

glad to hear the good new on these mowers; i have one coming ; its used but in great condition; been services by exmark dealer; cant wait to try it out this year; do these mowers stripe really good; and how well do they do in wet grass;

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

by far the best wb mower money can buy
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I think unless you buy a decent used one the price is only around a grand or so difference than a rider. Last season our local Exmark dealer had a 60"TT for around 5500.00 and a new rider with a 52" and a 60" deck for 6k even and the 60" was 6300.00. IMO you woud get more work done with a rider vs. a w/b. I have only been on a z turn a few times and yes they were faster but I didn't feel comfortable on it at all so my choice would be a bigger w/b also. Or look into a Wright Stander (thats my next demo)
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

A 60" deck is as easy or easier to maneuver than a 48 because the deck sticks much further than the 48 giving you a greater area to trim with. Unless your doing large properties where you can you need a constant high ground speed the wb will be as efficient as a Z. Set up a demo with Exmark. You will be surprised how nimble a large wb is.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity, if you have a ZTR with a 61" deck, why are you looking into a walk with the same size deck? If it's because of slope work, okay.

I can't compare a TT to a ZTR, but my TTHP 52 has the trim edge Farrell mentioned, which is really nice, and is quite maneuverable, again as he mentioned.

As for discharge and all that stuff, it does a decent job on that lush spring growth, but there are times when I would like the 19 horse engine to be a 21 horse engine. During the summer, 19 is more than adequate and during spring, it only slows me down a bit.

On the other hand, my impression last year was often that the slow-down during spring might be an artifact of the deck and blades as much as of the engine. I ended up switching to low-lift blades because it seemed as though they threw less garbage up into the deck than the notched, high-lift blades. Never got around to trying doubles, but it seems to me that in spring, they would just make matters worse, at least where fescue grass is concerned. Zoysia doesn't seem to stick nearly as much.

I still think that a stamped deck is the better in spring. Too bad they don't hold up as well as fabricated decks, but there are always trade-offs, aren't there?
  8. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

Mark McC,
    Thats exactly why I'm looking at a 60" walkbehind. The only reason I kept a ZTR is because I have 3 big commercial jobs that I've done for the past 3 years and they all basically consisted of just flat wide open mowing areas, I'm down sizing this year and dropping 2 of those big commercial accounts and I live in southeastern Kentucky, we have plenty of hills down here and 75%-80% of my accounts are done with walk behinds. So, that being said I will not need a ZTR, but I don't want to lose the efficiency of the 60" deck. By the way my ZTR is for sell right now, if anyone is interested, it's a 2005 Grasshopper 322D 61" deck with 290 hrs of use.
  9. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

Could some of you guys tell me what the turf tracer 60" 23 Kohler are selling for new in your areas. The cheapest quote I've gotten so far is $6400 with either the 23 Kaw or Kohler.
  10. jason_2005lawnman

jason_2005lawnman LawnSite Member

ive never used a walkbehind but cant wait to get out their and get to work with it; i have cub commercial's60" wide track tank with 24" tire's on it; and it is one of the best ztr's ive found yet; they have put great effort in making this thing;