Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48" 17HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Feb 20, 2004.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I have the above mower and I have tried to run doubles on this machine in different combinations and have not been real happy with the results. The best cut I get is from the Exmark solid air foil blades. I was thinking of trying Meg-Mo this year. Do you think this machine just has too little power for Meg-Mo's or doubles? What has been your best blade on this machine. The deck really clogs bad in wet conditions and early morning. I normally don't cut until 10:00 when the dew is dry.

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 TTHP's both 48" 17 Kawi, es. I run the Exmark mulch kits on both of them and except for really thick wet grass, they both do very well. I admit I would like to see the TTHP's come with a little more power. I myself have never tried doubles or Exmarks solid air foil blades so I can't comment on that, sorry. Good luck.

3. River Hill

I purchased the mulch kit and can only use it in very dry condtions. It just takes me too much time to take off and put back on. I wish it worked better in wet fescue.

4. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We too have problems in wet grass with our tthp 48. The wider your deck, the more wet problems you will have. Our 36 does much better, so we us it and the push mowers in the early morning.

We ordered meg-mos. Will post our opinion when the grass starts growing. John Gamba says they improve the wet performance on his lazer z.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a 52" TTHP with 17hp Kaw, it handles doubles ok. I only ever run "reverse gators" over standard lift blades (solid foil). This combo does not take very much additional power vs. single high lifts. It has a good mix of suction, cut quality, shredding and dispersal. I have not even tried double lift blades on this mower. I have tried them on a couple other mowers and did not like them a lot, they suck too much power. I can mow full speed or close to it with gator over standard blades most of the time and that is pulling me on a Pro-slide. I rarely double cut with that setup either, and it stripes very well.
    Your 48 should do fine with doubles like I use, but I personally wouldn't use MegMo's. Keep in mind I have never tried them. Just an observation but they look a bit heavy and look like they will create alot of suction (which is good but hogs power badly).

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You shouldn't have any trouble running Meg Mo blades on your Exmark walkbehind. Meg Mo blades are no heavier than running doubles actually on my JD they are lighter but that is JD of course. If I'm not mistaken, Meg Mo first put his blades on the Exmark walkbehinds.

7. River Hill

FrakenSkag when you say you run reverse gators over standard can you explain more? Are you running you gators on top, but upsidedown?

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Ok, there's Gator brand mulching blades. The wings on them angle inward toward the center of the blade. Reverse gators are made by other brands sold as "commercial mulching blades" the wings on them throw outward to the end of the blade. That's why we call them reverse gators. You can get them in J-Thomas catalog. www.j-thomas.com
    Go to www.elmlawnsite.com and click on "double blade page" and I beleive he has a picture of different blade types.

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Put them on right side up ;)
    On that double blade page, the pic with different blades #6 blade is a reverse gator. #7 is a standard gator.
    The second picture down shows a Gator going this way / and a reverse gator going this way \ . You don't need adapters just stack them in a + formation (90 degrees to each other) and bolt them on like that.

10. River Hill

I can't seem to find them a J. Thomas. What part number would I need for my 48" Turf Tracer HP