1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

exmark turf tracer/ kawi. fh 500v bogging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EARTH5, Jul 5, 2010.

1. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

can anyone help with this problem? i have a 48'' exmark turf tracer walk behind with a kawaski fh 500v motor. it just recently started to bogg out almost like a flooding problem. after running it for 2-3 minutes it clesrs up. it does it randomly too.. upon inspection i took off air filter to find it soaked w oil not gas!! it doesnt run any better w filter off or on .. any ideas or fixes... the motor doesnt have many hours so it shouldnt need rings and i have never sucked any dirt in it...... please help,...thanks,pat

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the oil level and smell the oil for fuel contamination, Could be a issue with the float needle valve causing random flooding. This could also contaminate the oil and cause a higher than normal level which could blow oil out the breather onto the air filter.

3. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

thanks..... never looked at it... maybe change oil and try it???

4. Restrorob

If the oil smells of fuel clean the carb & replace the float needle valve and install a new fuel filter, Change the oil and give it a go.....

5. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

just found no spark on one side.....coil???

6. Restrorob

Don't know, Un-plug the kill lead at the coil and test for spark again.

You can also test the coil with a multimeter;

[​IMG]

7. The Lawn Ranger CT.

The Lawn Ranger CT. LawnSite Member

EARTH5... I had the same problem with my 500v Kaw. last yr. I'd do what Restrorob mentiond and test the coil (found mine was back and would act up firing and then not)....I replaced and it fixed the problem.

8. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

Had a similar problem with my 48" ferris. Took it in and they said it was the coil that was bad. Less than a year old.