Exmark Turf Tracer or Turf Tracer HP, which one??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greatlawns, Jul 26, 2007.

1. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello,

I am in the process of buying a new walk behind to complement my 2 current 52" Lazer HP's. I definitely want to go with the electric start which narrows my choices to either the 19 HP Turf Tracer HP with a 52" deck, or step up to the 23 HP full-size Turf Tracer with either a 52" or 60" deck. My question is what is everyone's opinion on the two? Is the full-size machine more robust, does it hold up better, better features? I plan to use a velke, most likely the Exmark "Stand-On" so that may be a factor. What are the pros and cons of both machines? Is the full-size worth an additional $800?

Also, what is everyone's opinion on the Exmark "Stand-On"? Is it really worth $400, or should I just go with a single or double wheel velke? Does anyone have a preference between the single or double wheel?

Finally, should I go with the 52" or the 60"? They are very similar in price, so should I go for more cutting width or more maneuverability?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you cutting mostly 1 acre or larger lots? If not, I'd go with the 48 or 52. Also, it looks to me like their 'velke' is way too expensive for what it is. Go Proslide, or one of the other sulkies.

3. greatlawns

from NJ

Yes, most of my customers have fairly hilly lots of 1-2 acres. I was using the lazers to cut them, but the safety factor on some of the hills is prompting me to get a walk behind.

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i get it the full size turf tracer with the 23 for the extra power. There sulky is way overpriced, I recommend a Wright double wheel velke or Proslide

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I have a tthp 48" and a tt 60" so I can't speak about the tthp 52". Here is what I have found: For me the full size tracer is much better on hills because it has a wider track and is heavier; the power of the 23 hp engine sure comes in handy; it is a little faster; with a sulky the tthps are a little light in the front end.

Now, about the sulkies, I used Jungle Wheels for years and and after about 750 hours they were needing new tires and wheels the hitch bolt and mounting bracket would wear causing the back of the sulky to dig into the ground when backing up. Basically, they were wearing out. The Standon is pricey but is very well built, has a solid tire, and some other nifty features. But the main reason I prefer the Standon to the Jungle wheels is because it operates in such a way that there is better weight transfer to the back wheels. Under normal conditions using a full size tracer there is very little sliding of the mower on hills. If you purchase a tthp and get a Standon you may want to invest in a set of front wheel weights.

If you have other questions feel free to pm me.

Steve

ericg likes this.
  6. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

My 23hp 52 tt will mow anything and hold to any hill you ask it to. I use a two wheel Velke and I weigh 230 lbs. It can hold a hill with me on the velke. I love the electric start and it still goes after 700hrs of abuse and not a single issue so far. Knocking on wood

7. greatlawns

from NJ

Thanks guys, great information.

I think I'm going to go for the Full-size TT 52" with the 23 HP Kawi. I think the 60" might just be a little too big and heavy.

Sjessen, you say you have the Exmark brand "Stand-on" do you ever have a hard time backing up and jacknifing due to the single wheel, or do you find it easier than the Jungle Wheels you had?

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a TTHP 19 hp elect start with a proslide for 2 years now and its a dream.

You have hills and you are considering a wheeled sulk? you want to be tripping over it while you walk on the hill or worse yet remove it or hang it every time you do a hill, get the proslide.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Another reason to go with the full size tracer is the ultracut deck vs the trivantage on the tthp.

I have not noticed a great deal of difference between the two types of sulkies so far as backing up is concerned.

You should at least demo a 60" mower. A 60" walk behind wil go most anywhere a 52' mower will. Also, there are always used units on ebay for half the price of a new one. I purchased my last 2 mowers off ebay with good results.

ericg likes this.
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

for lawns that size i would go with the 60" for sure. Especially if you already have a 52"

Do you still have the lazer you mentioned?