1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Ultra Vac QDS 1000% worth it!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by andyslawncare, Sep 25, 2011.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just installed a QDS system on my 50'' lazer with 23HP motor. It has got to be one of the best investments that I've made. Dollars per hour in normal maintenance already went up $15-30 per hr, which pretty much pays my 2 employees.
  2. nashguy207

nashguy207 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Nashville,TN

How hard is it to remove the blower unit and tube if you want to change to side discharge
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Ultravac which is pretty much the same except I have a 2 bag hopper not the dump. It takes like a minute with no tools once the unit has been installed. I put mine on/take it off all the time. Some people make the mistake of tightening up a little latch that holds the vac unit against the discharge chute with a wrench so think you need tools, but you don't.
  4. andyslawncare

hmmm... I know which latch your talking about. I tightened it :/

I haven't tried to remove it yet (its too awesome), though all I need to do is loosen the latch, remove the impeller and pulley belt, and remove the tube. Probably 2-3 mins max and the same time to put it back on.

The bagger assembly can be removed by pulling 2 cotter pins and bolts similar to the roll cage.
  5. andyslawncare

If I don't want to bag a lot or a particular area for whatever reason, I just open the dump mechanism, and clippings drop behind me.
  6. Darryl G

Yeah you don't need to tighten the latch down. I just flip mine up to take it off and down to hold it on. It has enough tension on it from the belt to keep it from moving even though it's loose. I only bag when I have to so mine is off most of the time, but the hopper stays on.
  7. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

How did it increase your dollars per hour?
  8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

You dont have to leave the seat to dump the grass. Saves time by not walking around to the back, opening the hopper, and dumping each bag. You just pull a lever and all the grass falls out.

They work great if you are able to drive to your dumpsite on each property, or have a truck loader to suck everything up with. If you have to manually haul grass up into a truck or to the dumpsite then I think bags work better.
  9. Darryl G

Unless you've got a big truck loader and a man dedictated to it, I think it's a little silly to dump it on the ground just to pick it up again too. But for some operations they're sweet.

There's one outfit near me that has one of them multi-body trucks. They go out with a roll-off and unload it to the ground, open the doors and drive their mowers right in to dump. They also have a landscape body for it...man it sits high up there...big long folding ramp. I watched a guy go up it no problem but I think I'd be scared the first few times.
  10. andyslawncare

Some properties 1-1.5 man hour of blowing, some only 10 mins of blowing without the unit; now most properties take 10-15 mins to blow... Its not so much dollars per hr, but its quality that I provide, and the continued quality of lawns that will occur with continued use, all contracted accounts receive weed control/fertilization and core aeration yearly through us... Not a leaf during the summer is left in the lawn before I bought the unit. Now we don't have to blow the lawns. I only clock around 15 machine hrs a week on the mower as I mainly landscape and do detail work for our maintenance accounts. You could easily increase your productivity when you have somewhere to dump. I've cut out 1 man hour on one property with it. Normal residential probably saves 10 mins on a normal 30 min job=30% productivity increase......