1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Ultracut 60" 25 Kohler or 28 Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawns, Dec 5, 2007.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

OK guys I am going to buy a new Exmark 60" Ultracut this spring and was wondering which one to get? I can get the 25 Kohler for $7499 or the 28 Kawasaki for $7999. Is it worth the extra $500 for 2 more hp? Some guy told me the 25hp is plenty of power for hills and didnt lack any power. Let me know what ya guys think? Thanks.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you can ever have too much power. I have a 27 Kohler with a 60" Ultracut and would love to have more power. So yes, I would go for the Kawasaki. It's a relatively new engine but has some impressive specs and a great torque curve from what I have been told. You can get by with the 25, but you will probably be wishing you had the extra power. Better to have too much and not need it than the other way around. I have a 31 hp big block Briggs and it seem "much" more powerful than the 27 Kohler.

Of all the mistakes I've made, not getting enough power is the #1 mistake I've made when getting a new ZTR.
  3. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

damn that some killer prices on those 2 mower.... i just bought a 60 inch triton ,30 hp kohler for $9,400 total . my dealer likes to rape you on price this is the last machine i buy from him
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

25kohler is a proven motor. The hours on these mowers are insane.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking the same...

I have the 23 Kohler on a 52" ultra cut and have never bogged it

BUT for 500.00 I think I would go for the KAW JMO
  6. Andersonlawnscape

Andersonlawnscape LawnSite Member

I am about to make the same purchase as you, for just about the same price. I think the Kohler should be fine, but for that spring growth the extra hp would be nice to have, but either way they are both good kinda of a toss up. on a side note, I'm glad im not the only one that can't do math, its 3hp :cool2:
  7. phntmfoot

phntmfoot LawnSite Member

More HP and the Kawi is a better engine. I'd spend the extra couple dollars. You'll make it up in engine life.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

The extra HP is great. For more $ go with the kawa engine. I have them on 4 Z's and love them. Thing to consider as well is if your running this mower to 3000 hours or maybe after 1000 hours or so your thinking of selling or trading - then maybe go with the kohler.