ExMark Ultravac installation rant...or why not just buy a Navigator for bagging.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Sep 17, 2007.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I am dreading it. This contraption comes complete with 3 [three] installation manuals.

Was delivered via a forklift on a pallet to F-350 flatbed mode.

Had it over a month before I got the [courage to look at the installation] and the drive kit and the weight kit, [which cost extra] which is not included in the base price of the Ultravac.

It took 2 [strong] guys to lift the drive kit and weight kit onto truck bed.

Looking to me [now], like a Rube Goldberg machine.

Rube Goldberg (roob gold'berg) n. a comically involved, complicated invention, laboriously contrived to perform a simple operation.-Websters New World Dictionary

This thing comes complete with a room full of boxes! Many bags of screws, nuts and bolts and washers!

Levers abound, along with pulleys, the bags, all of which you have to assemble from scratch. They [ExMark] sure know how to squeeze the most out of a dollar.

The only part of the [KIT FROM HELL] that you do not have to assemble from scratch on a pallet full of parts is the blower, well thats not quite a true statement, the guards that go around the blower have to be assembled.

This installation is not for the faint of heart, I'd say an inexperienced ExMark dealer would be in the same position as daddy "Santa Claus" on Christmas Eve.

No way I'd bought this thing had I seen all the parts displayed before me.

I am disgusted, seems too complicated for me to install.

You have to drill holes to install of the weight kit...it goes on and on.

Anyone done this them self? If so, please enlighten me.

Your friend, in advance,
    kenny.

PS, below are examples of Rube Goldberg contraptions. lol.

Goldberg (Large).jpg

rubegoldbergexample (Large).jpg

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You can do it...its just like putting together a gas grill from WalMart.....

3. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

I thought it was pretty easy actually.....

4. captken

It's the three bagger, not the two bagger. Lots of parts, the whole kit is nothing but individual parts, save the blower itself, you then have to assemble the blower guard.

Massive this thing.:) And lots of parts. It will take a day at least to install.

Advise?

sincerly,
    kenny.

5. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait til you run it, with all the blow out you'll be nasty head to toe!!

6. captken

anyone with tips?

I am not looking forward to figuring out all the diagrams, or drilling out the front plate of the floor pan to add the weight kit.

Looks like the wheels have to come off??

anyone?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow.

I had mine installed.

But when I sold my Lazer, I removed it myself.

It IS a beast of a unit though. Very rarely was I able to single handily un-mount the rear bagger unit solo. It's not that it's heavy (It is, but not THAT heavy), but that it is too big and high for one person of average size to grab a hold of.

It will last though. Very well built.

Drilling mounting holes in the foot plate isn't all that hard, and to tell you the truth, if your going to skip ANY steps, this could be the one you can get away with NOT doing. If your only doing leaves, your never really heavy enough to need all that weight up front. If you find you do, it can be done easily at a later time.

I would think the hardest part would be the spindle mounted pulley. I would think removal of the spindle and shaft would be overwhelming. Make sure you use NEVER-SIEZE on this pulley if you ever intend on removing the pulley!

You really don't NEED to remove the rear tires, but it will probably make installing the rear brackets easier.

As for blowout.....if this is going on a Ultra-Cut deck, there is an anti-blowout baffle available that DOES work very well. With a TRITON deck, I would think adjusting the front baffle would suffice.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Not any help for you, but I guess I should be happy with my 3 bag unit on my Grasshopper. It's bacically 3 parts- blower, tube, and catcher. If I need to remove the whole thing it takes me about a minute and the catcher can be lifted off as a whole unit by pulling 2 pins and just pulling it off by myself. I'm thankful that it's so light now!

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've installed 2 of them now, both 3 baggers. First one took 2 hours second one (last week) took an hour and a half. Did it all myself except for putting the rear brackets on, had my girlfriend come to the garage and hold one side of the rops while i put the brackets on. It's really not that hard, and you only have to drill 4 holes, I didn't even have the templete for the first one, but I drilled it just right.

As for putting the hopper on yourself, i found a trick for that. Unpin it of course, crouch down just a little bit and get the back of the hopper to rest on your thighs, grab on the front of the hopper with your hands open, and stand up. The hopper rests on your legs and when you stand up it gives it alittle leverage to get over that square tube it sits on. Kinda hard to describe but I just discovered to do it like this the other day and it works good. can't really walk far with it but atleast I can pick it up off it now.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice Kurt. I believe I did something like that. I was contemplating adding a handle on the engine side as that was my problem, arms not long enough!