1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark ultravac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joehar, Jul 25, 2002.

1. joehar

joehar LawnSite Member
    from memphis

do any of you use the ultravac for leaves?how well do they perform? any clogging problems? thanks for any help
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Joe, I use my ultra vac for leaves all fall. It works great, and never clogs. The bags are designed to easily empty, even if its wet leaves or grass.
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

What size and type of bag are you using to dump the collections in? Does it ever seem to get too tail heavy with everything on the machine? I have some ideas rolling around in my head!
    I know watch out, better be careful :dizzy:

Thanks dude!
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Joe, where you going with the gun in your hand? Took a trip back in time to the song by Jimi Hendrix...:D

Hey Joe, I have the ultra vac and love it. It works great, it don't clog for me. It sure has made the job of leaf season a heck of a lt easier for me. ;)
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have it, and I have mixed feelings towards it.

GOOD Points
    1) Doesn't clog hardly at all.
    2) Is well engineered.
    3) Well built.
    4) Shreds the heck out of everything it sucks up!

NOT so GOOD Points
    1) Heavy as heck. 2 man job to install.
    2) Draws a LOT of power. 2-300 rpms.
    3) Fills quick (I have the 3 bagger too!) but I guess anything would.
    4) Tough getting the leaves to go UNDER the deck to get sucked up.
    5) Requires removal of my "Director" OCDC to use it.

I've determined that there is NO easy way for a one man operation to do leaf cleanups efficiently. May look for help this fall. There IS money in it! I really need a dump truck or dump insert. Getting the leaves in the bed takes almost as long as getting them pitchforked out!!!

Overall, Its a nice unit. Wish it created more VACUUM power than it does. It really is heavy. A real back breaker to put on yourself!
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Simply put. A good investment.
    Although heavy, I can get mine on by myself. Ocassionally having to retrace my steps to retrieve my nuts though. :eek:

Any hopper for leaves will never be large enough until we can do an acre and not get off our lazy but to dump it easily into a large enough truck and then drive away.
    That said, you'll be happy with it.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Wallygator---I use 45 gal lawn bags to dump in. The HP with smaller footprint and lower center of gravity doesn't need weight. Its balanced really good.

TLS----Joe has the HP not the full size lazer. The small ultra vac and be handled by one person easily. I solved my blowout problem. I got an anti-blowout baffle from eXmark that I can now suck leaves off driveways. Sure makes leaf season even better.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

All the more reason for full info signatures.

How do you like the baffles? Do you use them for mowing too? Or just for leaves?
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The baffles make all the difference in the world. I keep it on all year round. Its really worth looking into.
  10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you ever find the part # for the baffle. I posted at the other forum, but you haven't replied. Any help would be great. Thanks. ED