eXmark -- updated Triton vs. Ultracut -- post opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh.S, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

After browsing around I am seriously considering updating my equipment to exmark.

The dealer I go to has a 2007 Lazer Z w/ 28hp Kohler EFI w/ Triton deck w/ 145 hours for $7800 OTD. Is the deck problems fixed for the 07's? I have read the mixed reviews on Triton vs. Ultracut in the archives but very rarely was it stated what year the machine was.

I am assuming that the 2007 exmarks have the "updated" deck. The Triton deck is definitely more beafed up than the U/C, but I want the best cutting.

Post your opinions please.

2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Could somebody please help me out? I am probably buying one of these in the very near future and I need to know what is going on so I don't get a deck that is screwed.

Thanks

- Josh

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The 07 Triton should be updated and all Triton's qualify to be updated free before that. The Triton gets mixed reviews, some have had problems in Northern type grasses but the complaints have faded since the update (not disappeared). The Ultra Cut is the favorite by most users and is a great deck for normal lawns but it's weakness is wet grass where it doesn't do hardly as well (you may have to scrape the deck every now and then). To be honest you will get such a mix of reviews that a demo is the only way to know which deck is best for you. A lush Spring growth demo would be best but that's not possible now. I can tell you the Ultra cut is a very good deck with one of the smoothest carpet like cuts around. Opinions will vary but when we have polls on Lawnsite the Ultra Cut usually comes out on top of the Triton. You really need to demo in some lush grass. There are not many complaints with the Triton in Kentucky but a few.

4. MAD87

MAD87 LawnSite Member

Right on, as always!:)

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Maybee wait 'til the 09's come out. Supposed to have the ultracut with triton spindles. In my area the ultracut out cuts the triton. In Heavy wet grass, thet all clump....some worse then others. My lazer out cuts my ferris in the wet stuff. It also out cuts my friends 08 triton.............:usflag:

6. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

One disadvantage I found on the UltraCut is blowout when I run anything other than the Hi Lifts. It is worse now that the grass is mostly dead and I am cutting at 4". The UltraCut does not have adjustable front baffles like on the Triton deck. I just made a set of baffles and installed them over the weekend. They are adjustable from flush with the bottom of the front edge or I can drop them down up to 2". They work about the same as the Tritons except they do not have the 90-degree bend on the bottom. I cut one very small area with them set down to 1-1/4” and they did seem to work. That is the only section of grass that was green the rest is nearly all completely brown.

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My HP has an Ultra Cut Deck...Nice cut no complaints, I just demo'd a 56 inch HP with a triton deck and had no problems with it.....I thought the cut was just as good

8. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have both, and the Triton does better when I 'm mowing at the higher settings, 3.75" and above, and also does not " load up " with grass. The ultra cut is a great deck with a fine cut and all, but has to be scraped often in heavy or wet conditions. You will be happy with either since you cut northern grass....

Wayne