eXmark Vantage is HERE!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah but there are plenty of instances where it doesn't hold worth a crap in certain situations and you start sliding (tearing turf). A WB is superior in that aspect.

The machine has its niche, but I'd reconsider buying a second one. I'd probably just save a grand and buy a 48" TTHP. Maybe try a proslide.

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

The idea of the machine is the same, but there are many differences from the grandstand. On second look, there are even more then I have already listed. The frame is completely different because of the way the deck is supported.

ECS would have worked on the machine. The handles are already ECS-ish as it is. The position of the operator on this machine is different from a walk behind.

The deck is not a floating deck. It is fixed to the height adjusters. It's not on chains, or a torsion system like the Next Gen lazer. Scalp wheels will just dig into the turf.

3. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I decided AGAINST the Vantage after a demo and reading everything I could.
    I did want to like the machine alot, but it just did not have the finesse a WB gives, and with my ProSlide, on certain properties, I am not walking much. Guess I saved 7k!

4. fiveoboy01

Did you mean to type that they would NOT have worked? If so, you're wrong. Sit here and say otherwise, I've been using ECS for 5 seasons and it could have been adapted to the Vantage.

Then why can I pick up on it without raising the front casters?

I realize it's not full floating but rollers would help.

5. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that roller would be nice, but for the most part I don't need them. I didn't look real close when I saw the Exmark, but what I did see looks exactly the same as the current model year Toro as far as frame and lift system. I can't make the thing slide on a hill. You do need to be standing on it and not walking behind it. I weigh about 170-180 so maybe that has something to do with it. 20lbs either way could really change things up.

6. fiveoboy01

It's not so much traversing a hill sideways, it can do a moderately steep slope that way.

It's going up or down or trying to turn around(if going across) where it has problems.

7. Josh32RVP

Josh32RVP LawnSite Member

I love my 52" Vantage and have found it to work very well on hills. I typically straddle the hills and it hasnt ever slid with me on it and I'm 6'7 250lbs. The front wheels have come off the ground going straight up a hill but that was my own fault. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone out there for any condition!!! Good luck to all and have a great day!!

8. fiveoboy01

I took a closer look the other day, quite the contrary, it's NOT fixed to the height adjusters.

Anyways, been tracking the fuel usage, 1.1-1.3 GPH with the 24. It's a gas sucker for sure, but I'm saving time on the lawns so I think it balances out.

9. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Having read through your posts, I'm having trouble imagining why I'd give up our 36" and 48" TTHPs.

10. fiveoboy01

There is a productivity increase with less fatigue. Both pretty good reasons. However, there are downsides as I noted.

I'm probably going to get another TTHP or two next season. They just rock.