1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

eXmark Vantage is HERE!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ok thanks, I think i can mow stuff on really steap slopes that i would never use a stander on though. But if you don't have any really steep slopes i guess you don't have that problem
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you, cutting a slope such as the one you picutred isn't an issue, but turning around at the end of each row is, at least for me. The mower wants to slide, if you hop off it gets even worse because you just lost 180# over the drive wheels.

I'm not going to debate with the guys who keep questioning why I bought the mower, as they obviously haven't used one and don't know the benefits, nor do they seem interested in knowing... They'd rather nit-pick.

One other point, the Wright may be better on hills, as some of the operators have mentioned. I guarantee there are a few slopes that I take with my WB that you could not hold with any stander PERIOD, much less turn around on.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

This was added to Vangtage and not on the Grandstand. They are adjustable so you should be able to tighten them up. Just keep in mind that everything is new and will wear in a bit...

Because it's technically not a full floating deck. although the anti scalp wheels may help in some situations. Maybe a change next year or an add on kit.......

Done partially to keep them out of harms way. Although I agree, it is difficult for shorter folks in walk behind mode, however, keep in mind, this machine is designed as a STAND ON for 99.9 % of it's use.......

ECS was considered, however, it doesn't fit the machine and controls. You don't really have to switch hand positions if you use your thumbs for reverse and rest your palms on the bar. You'll get the hang of it. All the other stand ons are kinda the same.

1st thing I griped to Exmark about when I first saw these months ago. The new filters on these engines are pretty nice and the cost of the cannister filters getting smashed up (and the will and do) where they would have to mount them makes sense.

Don't know if anyone has noticed but the plastic/rubber discharge chutes have been becoming more and more popular over the past 6 years and this isn't new for exmark...........they have been running them about as long. Only machines still using steel are the trivantage decks on the metro and vikings.....

I don't think the battery is mounted in a bad spot at all. Nice cool location, easy to get at to charge and jump. Compare it to a turf tracer........
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I know this thread is about the Exmark.....but just for info..... My Grandstand is down with the bracket that the left drive wheel mounts on is cracked and broken. I love the cut but have had a lot of silly problems....
  5. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

What year is yours? (Not that I've heard about any year-specific wheel-mount problems as there are with general frame issues)
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I guess an 09 I got it last year in June...
  7. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply...I ordered a 2010, have not received it yet, but am having doubts the more I read. I need/want the stand-on/walk-behind option otherwise I may have gone with a more proven stand-on manufacturer. It seems every time I visit these forum threads I read about another flaw with the GrandStands. Good luck with your motor mount issue, have they mentioned if they are going to repair/replace it and what about the other side, do they have reason to believe that it is subject to failure? I would have assumed a set of un fortunate circumstances leading to the defect, but the more I learn about Toro GrandStands the more I attribute it to shoddy product, their customer service is not stellar either, why do we keep going back to them??
  8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

this should get the same reaction as throwin a rock at a bee hive!!!

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

If I could get the Grandstand's cut quality in a Wright Stander I would go back in a heartbeat...
  10. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my concern as well.