1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark video tape...will you please shut up with the 15 degrees !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 30, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

If you own Exmark have you gotten your little WARNING tape about being safe on a Z? Man if they said,just one more time, about not getting on a slope greater than 15 degrees, I was going to throw a brick at the TV.

My wife had a classic line since she was in the room when I viewed it..she said.."whomever made that tape must think you guys are dumber than the dirt you work in"...

They didnt go to the expense of mailing all of these out just to be warm and fuzzy with us landlizards. One might assume they are having a few too many legal actions blaming them when one of these beasts roll over on Paco Taco

2. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Legal protection for them and a reminder for us. I sometimes do go over the 15 degree limit but never encrotch on the safe zones around ponds and the like. Hypocrite right? Lol.

3. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think at 15 degress you could roll over, I wonder why they put the rops as standard in the new models then?

4. GarPA

from PA

I stay clear of water....of any kind....I embarrassed myself one too many times and from now on I just trim a couple minutes longer.

and yes I also go beyond the 15 degree limit at times...I'll bet most of us do....dumb as that may be but its not practical to keep running back for the walkbehind everytime we come acroos a slope

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

My thoughts exactly on the law suits.First thing I said when i saw the tape in the package...."Sombody had a suit against Exmark."

6. GarPA

from PA

thats a VERY GOOD question Atlan...one could assume then that they know we're often at more than 15 , hence they put the rops on

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was lead to the belief that it MAY have been directed at the "H2B help" more than at us.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the problem is with down-hill runaway. NOT Tipping over sideways.

I have operated on some pretty steep slopes going across them, but if I were to loose my orientation, and start skidding downhill,.......Well, lets just say that I always had a safety runout route.

I would think the ROPS would make them MORE topheavy, but with that extra weight on the REAR, it'll make them easier to STOP in a down-hill runaway.

For me......I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that ROPS will be collecting dust in my garage attic, just like the ones on my JD's! If you guys can be productive WITH them installed.....more power to ya's. My properties, its more of a tree branch remover than a safety device.

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think they say 15 degrees becasue theyre are employees who mow as fast as the can, and do NOT slow down on corners-dont lie, we've ALL seen those kinds of LCOs out there. they do corners on slopes at 10-15 MPH, and they dont even think about slowing down. Its a multiple risk factor. Terrain could be wet and slippery, mowing too fast, etc etc etc...

10. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i received the tape too but hav'nt watched it yet. i've got some really steep accounts so i would like to get one. i've always been concerned about rollovers, i dont see how anyone could survive one. knowing how safety and liability issue's are these days with all the government manufacturing regulations, warning stickers for dumb people and such, i've always been amazed that z riders dont have a cage and a seat belt on them, or at least a roll bar. so now they're begining to realize that theres a safety concern?? helloooo!.... i think they should GIVE us a rops