Exmark Viking 48" w/ 14hp Kawasaki fuel in oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by proscaper, Feb 23, 2003.

1. proscaper

proscaper LawnSite Member

I changed the oil on my mower today and there is quite a bit of fuel in it. It's very thin and the mower has been running weird on startup. Any idea about what could cause that?

Thanks
    Josh

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

You could have a needle stuck open in the carb. DON'T run your mower untill this is fix. you could blow up motor.

3. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

As mentioned before you could have a needle valve not sealing well due to trash or varnish from the gas built up on the needle valve seat. This would allow gas to continue to flow into the carberator and either flood the cylinder and allow gas to leak past the rings into the crankcase or maybe the gas level got high enough in the carb to allow gas to flow back through the crankcase venterator tube back into the crankcase. You will have to completely disassemble the carb and clean it very well. If after cleaning it, it still leaks gas into the oil you might have to adjust the fuel float level. Keep in mind to never run the engine with the oil thinned out. Change the oil before you start it. Hope you solve the problem!!!!!:D

4. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Hi Josh, This is a very common problem that you are experiencing. There is a very easy fix as well. As stated by J&R, do not run your machine until you cure the problem. You can thin the oil enough to cause major internal engine failure. I suggest that you have your carburetor looked at by a dealer who services Kawisakis, Your FC420v 14hp has a very good carburetor, but if care is not taken in disassembling it you can end up breaking off one of the float pin mounts. The needle seat should be inspected for wear and the needle valve itself replaced. Also you should make sure whoever rebuilds your carburetor does a needle valve "blow off" test, where the needle valve does not unseat under 4-6psi of pressure. Any competent servicing dealer should be able to do this for you. Hope that helps.
    Josh

5. proscaper

proscaper LawnSite Member

Thank to all who replied. It has been like this for a while now and has a slight engine noise now. It's possible that it is a slight knock. I will have the carb rebuilt but the engine is another problem I might face soon. Have you guys replaced or rebuilt these? If so, what is the best way to go and could I possibly put and electric start 17hp Kawi on it without problems? Do you know if it would bolt up and have the same shaft? Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

6. kevin55rc

kevin55rc LawnSite Member

Hi there proscaper..........all advice looks good, my experience is that the debris under the float needle most of the time does not always come from the fuel, but believe it or not through the air filter. There are air bleed ports/orifices on the carb inlet side that mix air with the fuel for better atomizing of the fuel air mixture. larger size particles get sucked past the air filter, and eventually into the inside area of the carb float bowl. from there they can lodge in "wherever" they feel. The tip off is if your fuel filter has a very fine screen inside, and the particle you find in your carb causing the problem is " larger that the screen holes ", it came through via air intake. This is not the gospel, but more true than not.