Exmark Viking w/ 14hp kawi engine rebuild kit??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by proscaper, Feb 24, 2003.

1. proscaper

proscaper LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who replied to my other post. I am going to rebuild the carb and I feel I might need to rebuild the engine. It has been like this for a while now and has a slight engine noise now. It's possible that it is a slight knock. I will have the carb rebuilt but the engine is another problem I might face soon. Have you guys replaced or rebuilt these? If so, what is the best way to go and could I possibly put and electric start 17hp Kawi on it without problems? Do you know if it would bolt up and have the same shaft? Any help would be appreciated. Who sells carb and engine rebuild kits for this model? I haven't had luck with searches.

Thanks
    Josh

2. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Josh, If you do end up replacing the engine you might want to stick with what is on the machine. It is possible to upgrade your engine, however you might run into some issues with exhaust, and drive pulleys. Also, if your current engine does not have electric start you would have to invest in a new wiring harness, battery, proper key switch, and necessary battery cables. This can become expensive and cost prohibitive very quickly. Many dealers will run spring specials on complete FC420v 14hp replacement engines. Good luck.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have done the 14 to 17 swap before and mine was a breeze. The shaft lenghts and diameters of the mid size (12.5 to 17) engines on almost all makes of engines is standardized. The engine will bolt to your frame using the old bolt holes too. If you stick with a recoil engine the swap should only take a couple of hours. Unless the engine sits on your mower backwards or has shrouding around it the muffler won't be a problem. The 17 twin is easier to pull start than the 14 btw. You will need a longer throttle cable.