1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark viking WB 48" Pull Cord Replacing help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by st.louis-rams-fan, Jul 23, 2008.

1. st.louis-rams-fan

st.louis-rams-fan LawnSite Member

could someone please help me out? ASAP TODAY My pull cord broke on my Exmark viking walk behind. i would try to take it to the shop but i was thinking about fixing it myself. i don't know how hard it is to repair? also by taking it to the shop i may lose a few days. the goal is to get it back in service asap but i only want to do it correctly. all tips & info would be a giant step in the right direction.
  2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

The engine manual that came with the mower should give you an idea of how to replace it. I replaced the cord on my Honda engine recently. You take off the assembly that holds the recoil mechanism. The recoil mechanism is attached to the assembly on the Honda. I don't know about your engine, that's why I suggest looking in the engine manual to see. If you don't have the manual, the engine manufacturer probably has it on their webside. You will need the engine model number and serial number to look it up. The dealer probably has a cord that will fit. If it broke off right at the end where the pull handle is, I just cut the cord and put it back in the handle. I have done this on chain saws, etc. until I get a new cord.