Exmark Viking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingmachine93, May 7, 2008.

1. mowingmachine93

mowingmachine93 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a Viking but got a few questions. Is the 15hp motor enough hp for the 48in deck? Any other information would be nice.

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

It should be fine unless you are cutting really thick grass. A lot of guys around here only run 13hp motors so I think that a 15 would be 15. My 19 kawi will take me up hills and threw some really thick stuff. And I am on top of it. This should be fine

3. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i'm thinking of getting one of these too and want a little more info about people who've been using them.

4. colawn

colawn LawnSite Member
    from co

good mower bogs down in thick wet grass but usually is sufficient

5. mowingmachine93

mowingmachine93 LawnSite Member

Does it stripe good? I would be using a sulky with it to.

6. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15hp kohler on a 52" toro hydro. It does bog down in 10" thick grass, but it still does a fine job with it if I go slower. I do not consider that an issue at all. It struggles to engage the clutch however but I think that may be another issue all together and not the HP of the engine.

The viking would be a much lighter unit than the 52" floating toro. I walk and I doubt I could use a sulky with this unit.

FWIW

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I purchased an Exmark Viking with a 48" deck and a 15HP Kawasaki engine in 2002. It was my first commercial machine. I still have it today as my main mower with over 5500 hours on it. At 3700, one of the OHV valves needed rebuilt--$450.00. Since then, no problems. I will probably keep it till the engine dies, and at that time have a new one installed with new pumps, hoses, and wheel motors--estimating $2200.00. Not bad really when a new one costs $4500.00.

8. CFB

That is awesome you got that many hours out of it, but I would not waste $2200 on it when the engine goes. Sometime you just gotta let it go to the grave. You can find used vikings for that price or very near it with 2-300 hrs. You could easily have more than that with parts that you are forgetting to account for. Clutch, spindles, pulleys, etc.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I just CAN'T let her go! She means too much to me! She's been with me everywhere...I just CAN'T live without 'er!

10. CFB

haha, classic. Here's to another 5500, then