1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs. Bob-Cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RTallday, May 11, 2004.

1. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

I'm just looking for some opinions here. I have Bob-Cats and love them to death. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about them vs. the Exmark walkbehinds. What are some of the exmark's better points? Im thinking of buying another walkbehind (32") and would love some input. Thanks.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 15 hp, 48'' Bob-Cat WB.I love it.
    Don't get an exmark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that expert advice with no reasoning.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you should stay with Bobcat, especially if the parts are interchangeable.
  5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, 65 hoss, my reasoning as to why not to get an exmark, I think is well based. True, I don't have an exmark but a few of my friends/neighbors have them, and they all said they hated them.
    If you like the exmarks and they work for you,good for you.

I love my Bob-Cat, and I will never buy any other brand!!!!!
  6. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Bob Cats are bullet proof mowers. The only thing is they don't have a beer can holder the way the Exmark dose.

They give a high quality cut.

If you want a bagging system you have to go through another company such as Protero.

I love my BobCats. I depend on them. They don't break.
  7. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

We've run all three....Scag, Exmark, and Bobcats. The Bobcats and Scag are both 36" belt driven walkbehinds. The Scag is 10 times better when bagging, especially in the Fall. The Exmark is a Turf Tracer HP, floating deck and hydro...so it's not a fair comparision. I haven't seen a nicer cut than the Exmark mowers. No real issues with any of them breaking down, if you take care of your equipment, no matter the name or color of it...it'll take care of you.
  8. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

let me ask you guys with bobcats this then. What kind of blades does everybody use on them. I have gators on one now and they are pretty good, and the other two have the stock high lifts. What does everybody find to be the best in the rain, dry, etc. These units are all 04s if that makes a difference. Ill prolly stay with the bob-cat, ive used them for years and they are quite bulletproof. Thanks.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I am of the opinion that you can't find a mower that is really any better than a Scag or Exmark, but I also don't think that they are all that much better than a lot of other brands such as Bobcat. I have a Bobcat and I haven't liked it, but its only because it doesn't have a floating deck. It misses stuff sometimes too and the blades seem to be built up too far into the deck (wish they were closer to the bottom of the deck so it wouldn't miss as much). The mower is alright though, nothing special.
  10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I have double high lifts on my 61 Zero Turn BobCat. Before I put the doubles on, it would clump quite a bit in the wet or high grass. Now it clumps very little. I put double high lifts on the walk behind 52 inch. I noticed that it packs the grass catcher much better now.

On the walk behind I had gaters on the top before, and I think I like that set up a little better.