1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs. Ferris Walk Behind Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STL Cuts, May 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. STL Cuts

STL Cuts LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark or Ferris? Which company makes the best walk behinds in your opinions? I have a 2007 Ferris 36" Single Hydro and purchased a 2007 36" Exmark Metro last week, both units are great machines! Let me know what you think

2. Green Skapes

Green Skapes LawnSite Member

I think Ferris mowers are great! I use a 48" Ferris hydro and it stacks up with the best of them. It stripes great without the use of a stripping kit and it is very reliable.

3. Linder'sLawnCare

Linder'sLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Well which one do you think is the best?

4. Green Skapes

Green Skapes LawnSite Member

I personally think the Ferris is the best! I have a 48" belt drive Exmark as well and I think the Ferris cut much better.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

exmark turf tracer over a ferris anyday.

Why not look into wright standers?...those blow walk behinds out of the water...

Believe me...I have 3 WB's.

6. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

TTHP over Ferris... more costly though.

I demoed a wright, good stuff, but not for what I need just at the moment, it isn't as safe to push with either on some parts. When I get huge properties I'll probably just sit, even the guy said that.

7. STL Cuts

STL Cuts LawnSite Senior Member

I can't really say just yet which one I prefer, as I just got back from college and tomorrow will be the first time I use the Exmark. The Ferris I've used has been fantastic though, so I'll see tomorrow morning.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Once you get used to the Exmark you'll never use the SD Ferris again. The only advantage the Ferris has over the Exmark is instant reverse. Well, that and a better cut. The belt drive Exmark is easier to turn and can be easily used on hillsides.

I have a Ferris 36" SD and we're finishing up putting steering brakes on it. Then I'll be able to use a sulky on it and do hills.

9. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking belt drives, because my hydro goes instant reverse and leaves a superior cut. I see he said Metro though.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We're talking about both, single hydro and belt. I hit on all of your points in my post.