1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs. Ferris Walk Behind Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STL Cuts, May 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Im getting ready to buy a new ferris WB,23hp with 61" deck, turf tracers are way too costly now at $8500!!!! The ferris hydro controls are feather light compared to the exmarks stiff controls, exmark has the goofy ECS handles and the ferris controls(pistol grips) have been unchanged for over 20 years! I think the ferris is the better mower. One final thing the ferris has little cooling fans on the hydro pumps, the exmarks have nothing to keep theirs cool, and they do get very hot! Exmark uses high pressure hydro system, ferris uses low pressure system to keep maintenance costs down. Go with the ferris!!!

2. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I'm talking about dual hydro then. I don't agree on the better cut myself. I had grass to my elbows that I did rather quickly while mulching, I made a thread about it somewhere.

Yea, TTHP's are costly though and the Ferris will suit you fine I'm sure. But I'm pretty much bound to say the TTHP is probably the best WB you're going to get all things considered.

3. Linder'sLawnCare

Linder'sLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If you have pics of the job with the high grass I would like to see them.

4. TheC-Master

5. Linder'sLawnCare

Linder'sLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Impressive!!!!

6. TheC-Master

Good stuff all around, though I still stand by my statement. :)

7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

think u said u were mulching on that cut, how the underside of the deck hold up. did it need to be cleaned out durning the cut at anytime. thanks, looking to adds a new mower, something that could handle the the high wet grass and not jam up.

8. TheC-Master

It was fine, it didn't bog one time, however if the grass is super wet it is recommended you clean at the end of the day or use fluid film.