Exmark vs Ferris walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Larson Lawn Care, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've run ferris and snapper pro several years. I want something more fuel efficient an less fatigue on my wrists and fingers. I was considering the exmark tt 60" efi. Has anyone owned both mowers that can share pros and cons? If you own an exmark with the efi, and haven't run ferris or snapper pro, can you tell me your likes and dislikes
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an EFI, and I haven't ran a Snapper/Ferris. But, I can tell you that I have ran pistol grip walkbehinds in that past. The ECS is much better than pistol grips. I puts your arms at your side instead of having your arms out like on pistol grips. The ECS doesn't get hung up on objects as easy when turning (e.g. a chainlink fence.) Hand fatigue depends on the person I guess. I have never had hand fatigue from any walkbehind, even running 9 hours a day. I guess it depends on how big your hands are.

Oh and by the way, an Exmark TT is a VERY good mower, especially in the 60".

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I would recommend a walkbehind with Z controls. All though ECS puts your hands in a better position it still takes the same effort to squeeze. I know Gravely and JD have the pro steer controls. I think Hustler has something as well. And rumors are still around that Scag will release one as well with z controls.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Larson Lawn Care

With the ecs or z controls, can I lift the front end of the mowers up on a 60/61" mower? With my ferris, I can lift it up to avoid hitting things at the last second.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed, as much as i like Exmark my next walkbehind will have the z controls.. They only problem is what brand? Toro on there website only has the 48 & 52 in mowers...

6. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

With the ECS you will be able to easy.

7. Larson Lawn Care

Also compared to the ferris, how is the speed on the exmark? According to the specs, the exmark is .75mph faster, I am curious to know if it is noticeably faster?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

The ECS is supposedly the most comfortable mower to run, I have run one but after an hour of so my hands have gone numb. Deere makes WB with the Z controls, but they left the 7 iron decks so I wouldnt even look at them

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcat also offers Z style controls on their walkbehinds.

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobcat does look nice!
    Posted via Mobile Device