1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark vs. gravely - shindaiwa vs. stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by felixhomecare, Jan 21, 2008.

1. felixhomecare

felixhomecare LawnSite Member

what do you guys think of exmark vs. gravely and also shindaiwa vs. stihl? also, do the dealers negotiate? thanks to all who respond
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Welcome to LawnSite. I dont mean to sound like an a-hole but, do a search there has been so many threads started about which is better etc.. I have an Exmark and am not thrilled with it. we also use Stihl and couldnt be happier. In my experience, dealers will only negotiate if your a repeat customer, or have spent a lot of money. Just do a quick search, its been discussed before.
  3. felixhomecare

felixhomecare LawnSite Member

thanks, i have heard mixed information about exmark. some love it and some have had problems. know anything about gravely?
  4. Raven386

from CT

I always see people talking about the Triton deck. I have not had 1 problem with mine. 60" 28 Kawi. Some people love them some people hate them. It depends on your area, what kind of grass your cutting in what conditions. You're best bet would be to Demo an Exmark and a Gravely. Then see which dealer has better support. The biggest thing i like about the Stihl BR600 is how light it is and its powerful too.
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If you go with Shindaiwa you wont be disappointed...just stear clear of the C4 stuff they have (its blue)...thats just my opinion.

From what I read about Stihl 4mix..they need high octane gas, synthetic Stihl oil, dont rev em up high and then let em idle immediately, dont taunt or tease them, talk nicely to them and keep them in a warm dry place...

Sorry, couldnt help myself.
  6. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

I would go exmark for walk behinds easy to use great cut. But never used a ztr from them what about echo i use alot of there handhelds and trimmers. Like the setup I got now
  7. Raven386

from CT

that sounds more like my echo..

I never put high octane gas in our mix. maybe once or twice but i have never noticed a difference. also we just use Stihls regular mix, not their synthetic.
  8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I vote Exmark and Stihl. The new Triton deck is awesome. I've never had a problem with Stihl equipment.