exmark vs. gravely

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by buckshot80, Apr 19, 2006.

1. buckshot80

buckshot80 LawnSite Member

i am starting up from scratch, buying trimmer, BP blower and mower. can anybody tell me what the difference is between a gravely and an exmark is because i don't see a whole lot other than the exmark is more expensive. i'm looking at a 36" walk behind (for both). i don't plan on getting more than 10 residential yards around my hometown to cut once a week. this is just a side job i'm interested in starting so i don't plan on getting really big. thanks in advance for help.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i love my eXmark, don't see any reason to change brands. After researching, thats the one i picked and im very happy with my purchase last august!! Shes gettin close to a year old already!!!

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This is a post I will be watching with interest also. I have been looking at the eXmark as well, and will be interested in reading what others have to say.

4. atlewis

atlewis LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

I can't speak on WB's but I just bought an Exmark CT. A big selling point for me was their reputation. Service locations and parts seem to be much more accessible than other brands. This could be a big factor affecting down time if parts and service are not available quickly. Just my .02

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

my dealer sells exmark and gravely, both are great brands he like's exmark better though. personlay i like the look of the gravelys and would buy one, many here like them.:)

6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

i have a gravely proh 5217, i love the machine, but my dealer sucks

i have nothing go to say about exmark

7. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Exmark and love it. It is great and in my opinion is the best finish mower. Before my purchase I tried the Walker, Hustler, Dixie, Toro, and found that the Exmark was the best. It has the best safety features on the market. Another thing to think about is that Exmark has done extensive research and development in the south for southern grasses. Exmark all the way. You'll make that 4 or 5 grand back pretty quick.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have nothing bad to say about either brand. I talk to other LCO's everyday and see them cutting and sometimes there cutting a lawn next to mine. Go with the dealer that gives you the most amount of there time when you have questions. I hate going into a dealer and you ask questions and they treat you like your time aint worth sh##. Dealer support is #1 in my opinion. Both exception mowers in the right conditions. I run Scag brand, and have awesome dealer support. I lost a bearing in Sept on my Z-Cat and called the dealer and told him I was on my way in, still had 14 yards left that day. I get there and they dont have the bearing but have another Z sitting on the floor with someone (homeowner looking at) with salesman making a deal. He marched over there and took Z off the floor and had me running in 45 min. Yes, they lost a sale, but will always have my buzzzzzzzz. I just bought another new Scag (48" this time) 2 weeks ago. Again, go with dealer support. Just my .o2 stupids

9. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

if you have an exmark dealer in your area, go exmark. their mowers are second to none and the reliability is awesome, along with their rep.

10. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I agree about the service you get. I also have an Exmark and love it. It is my first commercial mower so I can't speak of other machines. All of my cutomers just rave about how smooth a cut I leave on there lawns. A friend of mine, also a LCO runs Gravely and he loves it. I don't think you will go wrong either way, so go with the great dealer support.