Exmark Vs. Gravely?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chisolm Trail Landscape, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Chisolm Trail Landscape LawnSite Member

Okay everyone, we have narrowed our first ZTR down to two mowers. Can we please get your feedback on which you think is the better choice please!!!

Exmark Lazer Z HP with the 20hp Kohler
    OR
    Gravely PM 148Z 21 HP Kawasaki Twin w/ 48" deck, EYE-Q ready

Any and all feedback would be great help in deciding which is best!!!!!

Thanks

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The Gravely 148z, does it have the hydro. deck lift? If so, check on this new model 148Z(992093)w/ a manual deck lift. It has the same engine. Gravely just came out w/ there 05' line up and all 100 and 200(except 72") series Z's are available w/o hydro lifts!

3. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Yes, the Gravely does have the hydraulic deck lift as standard equipment. Does this make a big difference then? And is the Gravely a well built mower like the Exmark?

Thanks for the input RedMax

4. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

The gravely without the hydraulic deck should be about another $500-$700 cheaper I would think. It is a nice feature but if you are trying to save a little it is not a necessity. The foot lift is spring assisted and takes little effort to operate. I have a 144z gravely and it is built as heavy if not heavier than the exmark. I like it a lot. I liked the wider front tires offered on the gravely, I think they help prevent rutting on soft ground.

5. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Okay, now this might be a real dumb question! But what is the difference in the manual deck lift and the hydraulic deck lift? My dealer quoted me:

With hydraulic deck lift on the Gravely 148Z : $7099.00 Eye Q Ready

And without the hydraulic deck lift on the 148Z : $6299.00 Eye Q Ready

Any suggestions on which would be best for us just starting out?

Thanks so much for everyones input!!!!

6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would get the manual deck lift. Save the extra money and buy some more equipment. 95% of all brands only offer a manual lift. There are only a handful of brands that offer the hydro lift.

7. Chisolm Trail Landscape

Thanks so much RedMax!! I think we will do that then!!!!!

8. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

definately go with the manual for the extra 800 i dont think the hydro is worth it.

9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

If you are a small company you will probably never really use the eye Q for what it was made for. See if the dealer will take money off for that too. I have a 260 z gravely and love it. Got if for 6700.00 brand new from the dealer with a hydro deck lift, which is awesome, and the eye Q, which I really haven't used it for what it is for (haven't taken the time to program it, will do this winter).
    Basically go with the gravely, they are very well built machines and will run forever, just trim the extras to save money.

10. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

put it this way, i drove 30mins farther to buy a gravely over exmark.

gravely's machines are all very heavy duty and built to run forever.

not to say that exmarks are not also well built. i just compared their walkbehinds and when you look at the gravely vs. the exmark wb. its clear that the exmark is not as sturdy