1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark vs. Gravely

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by PLM-1, Dec 14, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the market for a new 36 or 48 hydro WB.

First, what is the MSRP for the 36 & 48 TTHP?

Second, why should i buy an exmark over a gravely??

I just sold my Snapper Hydro 48" and was very pleased with it but my dealer quit carrying Snapper. He only carries Gravely now but I am willing to consider an Exmark.

Please Advise!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The MSRP for the 36" is $4799 and the 48" will range bwtween $5299 and $5699 depending upon what engine you choose and if you want electric start.

As far as why Exmark you should really demo the two machines. We believe you'll like the ECS controls much better than any other control on the market. It's a release to go rather than a push to go. I've personally never been a fan of a push to go hydro walk behind control. for me I've always found them to be less precise than the various release to go systems. You’ll also like the neutral safety locks as well. On many designs the neutral safety locks can be quite cumbersome and often difficult to engage or disengage. You’ll also find the ECS controls with the center ground speed control lever much easier to set your ground speed and it’s also a little less time to get it set where you want it. It’s also quite a bit easier for me to set on the fly as well but that’s me. I also find it easier to keep the release to go systems moving in a straight line on uneven, rough or hill terrain when compared to many of the push to go systems.

I'm not sure if Gravely is welding the seams on their deck. I would assume they are but I can not verify that from their web site.

We also use a cast aluminum cutter housing to help dissipate heat rather than cast iron that can hold the heat in. This is to protect the grease and prevent over heating it. The aluminum also serves as a last defense for large heavy obstacles. In the event that you hit something hard enough to bend the deck our hope is that the aluminum housing will break instead. It’s much better to replace an $80 housing with bearings than to hammer an $800 deck shell.

We also run semi-pneumatic front caster tires to prevent flats and have greatly reduced the routine maintenance.

The spindles themselves are maintenance free, the caster wheels require weekly and the idlers really only need lubricated once per year.

We also offer a striping roller rather than a rubber flap which is used on some other machines. Additionally we have developed a reputation cut quality or the appearance of the lawn after cutting or more importantly between cuts. Some mowers will leave a great looking lawn the day it was cut but after a few days the appearance can deteriorate rather rapidly. Our deck seams to maintain the look of the lawn for a longer period of time.

Again your best bet is to take both machines on a demo and see which one you like the most. The ECS is probably a pretty big departure from what you’ve been using. Give it at least 20 minutes until you get a feel for the machine and then see what you think.

3. PLM-1

Thanks Terry, as usual you are full of information! I will certainly demo an Exmark.
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Yup..........you not the first one to tell me I'm full of it.

5. PLM-1

6. PLM-1

does anybody that have used BOTH of these machines have any input?