Exmark vs Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mad_wrestler, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at two mowers. These I think are the finalists.

Hustler Super Mini Z
    44" 23 hp Kawa
    with mulch kit...$7048 out the door

Exmark Lazer Z HP
    48" 19 hp Kawa
    with mulch kit and ROPS...$7225 out the door

Are these good prices? Also, which one do you think is the best bang for the buck? And finally, which one would you choose.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should just move up to a 48" hustler because there is basically no trimming capacities with a 44" deck. Either that or an exmark with a bigger engine because the more power the better.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Hustler doesn't make a 44" cut.

I'd say the exmark is a better deal because of the bigger deck and it just costs a little more than the Hustler. Out of the two in this case i'd get the Exmark.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That would be incorrect. They do make the 44". Both are great mowers. Demo both and see what you like best. Either will be awesome and serve you well.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think Travis meant to say Hustler doesn't make a 48" rider.
    They also don't make a 54" rider, but both are available on walks instead of 44" and 52"

All I can say is I've tried to tell hustler... 48" & 54" rider.... can the 52" deck.

Now between these two meantioned, I feel it's about a draw. I like the eXmark better overall, but I'd be tempted to go with the Hustler because of the extra power. Some may not agree with me, but I don't think 19hp Kawasaki is near enough for a 48" deck. I have a 21hp Kawasaki 48" and it's not enough in my opinion. Anything more than mowing normal growth at medium speed, side discharge, on flat ground, IT STRUGGLES.

A 23hp 44" should be a Hoss....

My advice? DEMO.
  6. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Test drive them both.... You'll find the Hustler to have a smoother ZTR operation... buy from a good dealer who'll support you! That way which every one you chose , when it does give you some trouble he'll keep you up and running!!!!!
  7. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

IF I was going to buy one of those two mowers I would buy the Hustler. Demo both of them and you'll see very quickly why I recommended the Hustler. Smooth controls, more HP, easy to work on, simple construction, faster, etc!
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hustler has a $1500 rebate on the Hustler Z until the end of May. With the rebate you can get a 52" deck 23HP Kawasaki Hustler Z for less than $7200. Absolutely awesome mower.
  9. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

I would look at the terrain I’d be mowing first. :eek:

Does it have hills, slopes, inclines and narrow passages? If so…I would choose the Hustler because of its lower center of gravity and smaller footprint to get thru obstacles.
    Will you be traveling long transport distances? Again I would choose the Hustler b\c of its 13mph transport speed. payup

All else being equal, they are both awesome machines, BUT (and there’s always a BUT! LOL!) :gunsfirin
    which one has controls that fit your height \reach of pedals, controls, etc. best? :cool:

Which dealer will give you the best service? How about a loaner if you need service? Who has a better warranty? Which dealer do you think you’ll get along with best? :D

Hope that helps! :angel:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

EC-Rider :waving::
  10. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

WOW!!! These are some great replies that are bringing a lot of things to light. About the dealer situation. While I was at the Hustler dealer he had some guys there that he was trying to pursuade into investing in the dealership! Why he told me this...I don't know!? That, business wise, puts up a red flag to me! If he goes out of business the closest dealer would be about a two hour round trip. And while I was weighing the pros and cons of the differant mowers while I was there, the only salesman working for the dealer had the nerve to ask me if I would make a decision already!@# And as I was walking out the door with $7000 in my pocket, he told me that I was just waisting his time anyways! That is when I went to the Exmark dealer. He was great! Very personable. When I told him my plans as far as doing this for my brothers to help with college he insisted that I send them to him so he could personally train them and help us get started in any way he could. He has been selling lawn mowers for the past 30 years in middle Ga and now finally got his own sponsorship from Exmark, Kabota and Toyota lift. Although I was still pissed off at the hustler dealer when I talked to the EXmark guy, I feel that the Exmark dealer went the extra mile. With that said, take all of that into consideration also.