Exmark vs Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wildweasel7648, Jun 14, 2007.

1. wildweasel7648

wildweasel7648 LawnSite Member

I am looking at a new machine to replace my JD. I am introducing my customers to mulching and have started by using a Quick 36. The machine does and excellent job and the customers are amazed at how little difference there is in the appearance of their lawn when bagging and mulching. Now I would like a rider (Exmark or Hustler) that would do the same thing. Which is better? Both dealers are about the same as far as service, although one is in town and the other an hour away. By the way, the size of the machine would be small to medium (42 - 48"). Thanks for the help.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What model mowers are you looking at?

3. wildweasel7648

wildweasel7648 LawnSite Member

Looking at an Exmark 44" Phazer or a Hustler Fast Track 42"

4. John Gamba

from ct

In this pic i would go phazer. i think it has a better deck.

5. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the Phazer. Instead go with the Hustler Mini Z. Fastrac is an upscale homeowner model.

6. John Gamba

from ct

Why not the phazer

7. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

if you're lookin in the 42-48 inch range.... i'd look into the Lazer HP 19hp 46in cut. same power as the phazer and only 2 inches wider but you also get a much better frame and the new triton deck. i have this model and there is nothing i can say about this machine that is bad. i've been impressed with it for the past year that i've had it. and yes i do mulch with mine and it does an amazing job. i had the updated blade tip speed kit installed on mine and it seemed to help and mulch a little finer. by the way..... which dealer is closer? the exmark or hustler dealer? that was just my opinion on the mower to choose but i'd go with the dealer closest to you.

8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Emark 44" deck with mulching system. It does an amazing job. I have one time customers call me and thank me for bagging there yard. I dont tell them I mulched it. It does very good in wet grass as well with no clumping. Tall grass does fairly well but you can run back over at full speed and clean everything up in no time. I cant say anything for the Hustler because I have never used one but Im sure they are good machines.

9. John Gamba

from ct

You are talking alot more money for the HP. you are also talking a 4" deep deck on the hustler then the 5" deep one on the phazer. the phazer is also like 400 pounds less then the hp.

10. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see here. Three words. Ford vs. Chevy. Haha. I think it all really boils down to personal preference. I would recommend that you demo both and go with the one that feels best to you.