Exmark vs. John Deere WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dixie Cutters, May 18, 2004.

1. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

OK so I have narrowed the search for a new belt drive walkbehind down to this. By the way, I DO want a belt drive and I AM going to pick between these two, so please dont tell me "Exmark Lazer Z HP Liquid Cooled 60" Cut" - I DO NOT want that nor need that suggestion. So without further waiting...

Exmark Metro HP 48"/17HP - Quoted $3522

John Deere GS75 48"/17HP - Quoted $3600

Which of these two and these two only would you choose? Also what are the pros and cons in your opinion?

Thanks in advance...

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Exmark Hans down for cut and options. like an ocdc and the accelerator bagger.
    Can you get the 17 kaw on the metro hp???
    John

3. Dixie Cutters

I meant to say 15HP for the Exmark, my bad. Keep the opinions coming, and thanks John.

4. I have a Metro 48" with the 15hp Kawi. I am very pleased with this machine and would recommend it to my friends. I choose it because of it's simplicity, ruggedness, and brand reputation. The Deere just seemed to have to many pieces for what it does and therefore seemed flimsy.

Of course this is entirely my opinion and I wish all of you Deere owners the best of luck.

BTW, I'm in Columbia, TN and purchased my mower at Franklin Kubota. I also recommend this shop, the purchase of the mower, and subsequent parts (blades, etc.) have been as much of a joy as possible when having to spend earned money.

Also, I didn't think I was going to need a sulky since I was planning on keeping this mower on smaller lots. A Velke X2 was bought for me as a gift. I wouldn't dare think of using my Metro without it now. It still comes off for the steep and extreme tight work, but even those times are becoming more infrequent. I have read here that belt drives have difficulty with sulkys - I have not experienced this as far as power / belt slippage goes at all. I do occasionally step off to help with traction issues, but this is not often enough for me to call a nuisance.

TTFN

5. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Dont know if this helps but I have the HD45 (14HP Kawi on a 48" deck) it has sastisfactory power and with the 17HP it would be great for that long wet grass or running doubles (i wish i had the 17) Ive never ran an Exmark tho so I cant compare them. Deere gets alot of good reviews on here and lately ive noticed Exmark has been getting some bad ones.. mostly for the new models they're putting out (might be only ZTR's I dunno) If you havent done a search yet plunk in your models and see what you get. Below is a pic of a lawn i did today my deere (and a proslide)

symlawn.jpg

6. Dixie Cutters

Did that 14HP pull you up the hill on the proslide just fine I take it?

7. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Yeah surprisingly.. i weigh 180ish and it did fine. If it was mowing deep wet grass it might be a different story tho.. Its ok but 17hp would be great :)

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard bad things about both exmark and john deere.

I have a belt drive 15hp 48" Bob-Cat and love it.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

eXmark! My Dealer stopped carrying Deere Walks because they Just couldn't Compare!

tt3617.jpg

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used either WB, but I do know that all my Deere stuff is built like a tank, cuts great, and the dealer support is great.