eXmark vs. John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Sep 8, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I see alot written about these eXmark mowers and am seriously considering purchasing one.I presently own a JD LT150,and really like it,but it's become obvious to me after being in this business for a short time that I'm going to need at least one nice,large lawn tractor,but not too big.Right now my few accounts are relatively small residential ones.I would like be able to handle larger properties if those opportunities come my way,and be able to complete jobs like that in a reasonable amount of time.
    I believe what I need is like a mid-sized lawn tractor.My dilemma is that I really like my LT 150;it's reliable,extremely maneuverable and makes a very nice cut.I've never used an eXmark,though,but based on what I've read they must be totally awesome machines.
    So if some of you guys could give me your opinions I would really appreciate it: eXmark,John Deere or something else.Why?Thanks. Jim

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I occasionally (rarely) use a JD LT155 with power flow catcher on small yards but on the bigger stuff, its speed and quality of cut. I've never used a Z but I can see how they'd be quick around a yard and cut very well no doubt but from what I read here, they have there limitations like slopes etc. If your land is relatively flat go a Z'd but if hilly, look elsewhere. For the record, I use a JD X595 because of that reason. Of course this is IMHO and no doubt will be told other wise.

3. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Why do you feel the need for a tractor? try out a 36 inch walk behind w/sulky. I think you will like the speed and comfort. MUCH faster to mow with than the tractor. But thn I may be biased!!
    besides you would still have the JD 150. I was making this same decision a couple months ago, and am glad I got the w.b. but your case may be different.
    Norm

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

WHY? Do a search------------- to exmark-------------

smaller 664.jpg

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Why not look at the John Deere Quik trak... handle the larger jobs quikcly yet agile enough to handle the smaller ones too , uless you cant get a 48" through the gate......

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

what mvnfr8 said ,i have a 36inch exmark walkbehind with a velkie x2. nearly all of my accounts are small residential and there is simply no comparison between what is essentially a homeowners lawnmower and a commercial model. i know because ive used both.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Scape
    Don't you have a walker mower?

8. A Cut Above Lawncare

A Cut Above Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I made the switch from a JD to and Exmark. Cut my time in half and my lawns look much better now i have twice as many lawns to do.........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    It will pay for it's self this year.

9. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

EXMARK

10. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I own a gravely and thats a great machine i would try one of them out.