eXmark vs. Lesco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJK, Dec 22, 2007.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Are there any differences between productivity and reliability between the two companies in there 52" walkers and 60" Zs? Just wondering if anyone had experience with both, or heard things. Thanks.

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Exmark and Lesco. Original Lesco 52 belt I had after a little over one season had to replace the deck. was very flexible and cut was awful. Could push on hadles and see the deck flex. Not an unusual ocurrance as the mechanic had another one at the time with the same problem. Original Exmark 36 still have and have had very few problems with. Replaced both machines a couple of years ago with hydros. Exmark 36 Viking have had few problems with. Lesco has had mostly minor things go wrong. Safety switches, constantly changing front bushings and few other items. Both have been good mowers but would much rather pay a few extra bucks and run the Exmarks

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

MJK,

I run both (riders only) and have for a couple of seasons. If eXmark was as great as it once was sworn to be on here, I wouldn't have been looking for a better solution and wouldn't have purchased Lesco products.

The Lesco ZTR's are not as flashy and not as smooth in some ways as a brand new eXmark. But when it comes to performance and reliability, I have to give the edge to Lesco.... and when it comes to overall maintenance, performance and productivity anywhere doing anything, the two are not even in the same class, as the Lesco's have far more on exmark than just the edge.

The experience Rhett had with the walkbehinds was probably some time ago when they may have been using thinner or milder steel for the decks or something. That coupled with the fact that he probably cuts very close in a very sandy enviroment... well I would not be surprised to see a deck wear (sandblast) to the point of flexing. But I doubt that is an issue with any new lesco walkbehind you could purchase today. Their construction is right with the typical industry standard. Built like all the other fixed deck walkbehinds on the market....

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I have a cubcadet commercial 32" walkbehind which is the same as the lesco and it is a rock solid unit. The machine is very reliable and easy to work on and its one of the cheapest 32" commercial mowers on the market.

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The lesco with the saggy deck is not that old. 2001 I believe. Put a 48 on it and is still working to this day. Kinda hurts my feelings as the guy that bought it doesn't take care of his equipment. Are you planning on discharging or mulching? BIG difference. I compare them to cars. The Lesco is a Chevrolet and the Exmark is the Caddy. Both will get you there. I would just as soon drive the Caddy

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

We have a belt drive & hydro drive lesco. cut is great, stripes 10X better than the exmark rider. Never had 1 problem besides reg. maintenance with the lescos. the exmark, the striping kit broke off, the belt on the ultravac snapped at about 2 hours on the machine, and a few bolts here and there have fallen out nothing major. Its hard to compare the 2 machines... but if I had to buy another it wouldnt be a exmark. 0 problems with the lescos since the day we bought them.